Altec Lansing VOTT Clones? - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th December 2011, 04:44 PM   #31
GloBug is offline GloBug  Canada
Banned

Good read, I'm reading it and the other threads as we speak.
Old 7th December 2011, 05:00 PM   #32
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
Also check out the Onken bass enclosure. It's well liked and uses an Altec 416 for the big version or 414 for the "Petit" version.

I designed and built a pair of Onkens around the Iconic 165-8G driver (515-8G) about 6yrs ago now works great - very pleased with the result. Used the old Onken calc spreadsheet.
Old 8th December 2011, 04:17 AM   #33
Banned

What kind of power are you guys using for these?
Old 8th December 2011, 02:43 PM   #34
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

it's a nominal 100dB/1w speaker... if you biamp then the HF section with a compression driver running will be ~108-9 dB/1w... max power depends on the thermal limits of the drivers. ...does that help?

_-_-bear
Old 8th December 2011, 03:01 PM   #35
diyAudio Member

around 1970 or so I bought a new pair of A7-500's. The drivers were Altec, (416-8a's + 511B's) but the cabinets were locally made in Montreal. I ended up selling the empty cabinets and built 20 cu ft infinite baffles and bi-amped the speakers. When I got married the speakers were moved to the dark basement. The diy amplifiers and crossovers still work, but now its time to build a pair of A7 cabinets properly. My son wants me to put the not yet built speakers in my will for him. I will be reading this thread with great intrest and hopefully I will find the other threads as well.

I agree they are not the best sounding, but there is something special about them...
Old 8th December 2011, 03:27 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

I started out in this insane hobby with a pair of 806-As, 811-B horns, and Altec 416A midbass drivers in a Valencia box clone, and that may be the quickest way into the Altec world to see if you like it there.

The Valencia is a simple bass reflex box, and you can either use circular ports ala the later Valencias, or cut the horn opening wide as in the original Valencia, porting the woofer with the space on either side of the HF horns.

Plans are available at audioheritage.org.

The Altec drivers sound great and don't seem to need much augmentation at high volumes, but for home use at lower levels I felt the need to supplement the HF with an Aurum Cantus ribbon, and two sealed 12" DVC subs mounted in a back-to-back isobaric configuration for deeper bass.

Even the big A7 boxes and stock drivers weren't designed to go much below 50 - 70Hz, but they sound and feel like they go lower, with very little thump or boxiness. People speak of "airiness" in the higher frequencies, but using classic Altec drivers, whether in an A7 box or a Valencia box, I feel that word can be applied to classic Altec bass as well.
Old 8th December 2011, 10:12 PM   #37
tmblack is offline tmblack  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

What's the difference between 806 , 802 and 902 drivers? I hear the 806 don't go as high.
Are they interchangable?
Is there a preference for 16 or 8 ohms?
There is a company remaking the Altec drivers called Great Plains Audio.
I am really starting to like the idea of the Valencia.
Old 8th December 2011, 11:10 PM   #38
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmblack View Post
What's the difference between 806 , 802 and 902 drivers? I hear the 806 don't go as high.
Are they interchangable?
Is there a preference for 16 or 8 ohms?
There is a company remaking the Altec drivers called Great Plains Audio.
I am really starting to like the idea of the Valencia.
802 has more flux density than the 806, it is 2.2 dB more sensitive, and probably a bit smoother.

The 802, 806 and 900 series all use 1.75” voice coils, 604-8K and 900 series are ceramic magnets, the earlier are Alnico.

The all- aluminum diaphragms go higher than the Symbiotik Kapton plastic surround, though the Symbiotic won’t crack as soon with a low crossover point.

Unfortunately, with 50 year old drivers hard to say what diaphragm they are loaded with presently unless you did it yourself or open the driver up to check, or test them.

If you are interested in more information about these antiques, check out:
Altec Lansing Professional Audio - PDF Library

Art
Old 9th December 2011, 01:01 AM   #39
Banned

That's a good link, it has a bunch of PDF plans. Cool.

Altec Lansing Professional Audio - Vintage Speakers

I guess a good plan of attack would be to select a woofer and design a box from there.
It may be a little sac-religious, I don't know, to just scale a Onken or 210A to a modern efficient woofer.

For the Onken I would try and get a woofer to fit in to the old chart.

For the 210A I could look for a woofer the uses a big enclosure, then scale the 210A to fit.

Lot's of things to think about.
Old 9th December 2011, 02:26 AM   #40
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloBug View Post
What kind of power are you guys using for these?
Playing as loud as I care to the peaks hit 6V, max. That's 4.5 watts, peak.
Average power is 1/8 watt for 85dB at the listening seat.

Hide this!Advertise here!