No sub = no bass... true? - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th December 2011, 04:11 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonnica View Post
. I'm a hater of typical "home theater" setup with only high hisses and boomy bass like all of my friends and neighbors got.
most people who use subwoofer in HT are idiots that dont know how to use a sub properly. my system as bass enough but i still like to use a sub for better control of the low end and there´s no " booming " sound , i only listen to music no movies.

Last edited by lduarte1973; 6th December 2011 at 04:17 PM.
Old 6th December 2011, 04:15 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonnica View Post
Please tell me that's totally wrong...
Martin,
IT'S TOTALLY WRONG!!!
and here is a video to prove it.
Grande Utopia EM from Focal - YouTube!
(Note: If the quality of the sound of this video is good is because you have good speakers at home and don't need a sub or new speakers).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg im_right_youre_wrong_mug.jpg (22.9 KB, 314 views)
Old 6th December 2011, 04:17 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lduarte1973 View Post
most people who use subwoofer in HT are idiots that dont know how to use a sub properly. my system as bass enough but i still like to use a sub for better control of the low end and there´s no " booming " sound
Yes, most people set the bass far too loud (like so many Cinema's) and the rear channels, and often the centre channel too.

Even modest size satellite systems can sound pretty good for Home Cinema. Although even for a small room I would say 4 inch drivers are the minimum for good sounding sat's.
Old 6th December 2011, 05:35 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

I agree Rob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob g View Post
Yes, most people set the bass far too loud (like so many Cinema's) and the rear channels, and often the centre channel too.

Even modest size satellite systems can sound pretty good for Home Cinema. Although even for a small room I would say 4 inch drivers are the minimum for good sounding sat's.
i have 2 12" jbl subs and my setup is 4 x 3 way classic , 8" visaton gf200 4" scanspeak 10F/8424G00 and Bohlender-Graebener NEO3 PDR

since my living room is small i cant have bigger than 8" in one of the sets , the other set i´m thinking of building a nex box for a 10" , i dont need anything bigger. Still the subs give me the freedom to shape the low end even had a little "warm" to bass.

Still i only use 20% maybe less of the subs power

Last edited by lduarte1973; 6th December 2011 at 05:38 PM.
Old 6th December 2011, 05:39 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inductor View Post
Martin,
IT'S TOTALLY WRONG!!!
and here is a video to prove it.
Grande Utopia EM from Focal - YouTube!
(Note: If the quality of the sound of this video is good is because you have good speakers at home and don't need a sub or new speakers).
this is why focal drivers are so expensive

without wanting to steal the thread , anyone knows what material they use for these woofer cones ?

http://www.rumoh.nl/en/focal/3251-focal-8w5456b.html
http://www.rumoh.nl/en/focal/3250-focal-7v4255.html

Last edited by lduarte1973; 6th December 2011 at 05:55 PM.
Old 6th December 2011, 05:41 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

I am very sad to read that audiophiles still frown on multichannel 5.1 or 7.1 systems. Framing a 5.1 or 7.1 system as just for hometheater is just plain wrong. Also saying that you have to lower your desire for quality when purchasing a multichannel system is also wrong.

For those of you who look down on multichannel, would you consider a 7.1 system built around Dunlavy SC-V's, Dunlavy TSW-VI subwoofers, and Bryston 28B monoblocks a trade downward in musical quality and accuracy?
Old 6th December 2011, 06:27 PM   #27
DrDyna is offline DrDyna  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundtrackmixer View Post
I am very sad to read that audiophiles still frown on multichannel 5.1 or 7.1 systems. Framing a 5.1 or 7.1 system as just for hometheater is just plain wrong. Also saying that you have to lower your desire for quality when purchasing a multichannel system is also wrong.

For those of you who look down on multichannel, would you consider a 7.1 system built around Dunlavy SC-V's, Dunlavy TSW-VI subwoofers, and Bryston 28B monoblocks a trade downward in musical quality and accuracy?
That depends on how many microchips and processors and fake manipulation are between the recording and the speakers.

Flamewar commences now!

/popcorn
Old 6th December 2011, 06:54 PM   #28
cbdb is offline cbdb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I am very sad to read that audiophiles still frown on multichannel 5.1 or 7.1 systems. Framing a 5.1 or 7.1 system as just for hometheater is just plain wrong
Framing a 5.1 system as only good for something that has been mixed for 5.1 is just plain right. And since very little music has been mixed that way its a waste of money to set up 5.1 for stereo mixes. Its like using two speakers for a mono recording. (the phase issues (comb filtering) out way any advantages).
Old 6th December 2011, 06:55 PM   #29
cbdb is offline cbdb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
That depends on how many microchips and processors and fake manipulation are between the recording and the speakers.
I guess you only listen to music recorded pre 1980. (or 1950 depending on your definition of " fake manipulation").

Last edited by cbdb; 6th December 2011 at 06:57 PM.
Old 6th December 2011, 07:12 PM   #30
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundtrackmixer View Post

Of course it is possible to put together a very good multichannel system. It will cost much more than a good stereo system. 5 or 7 speakers instead of 2, amps, etc. If you are on a budget budget/7 will usually get you a lot less fidelity than budget/2.

For instance 28Bs are something like $8k each (my whole system cost less than the HST on 1 of these), 2 x 8 = $16k. 7 x 8 = $56k. Enuff delta to buy a nice car (to get you to work to pay for it all).

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!