Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th December 2011, 04:10 PM   #101
boris81 is offline boris81  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_push_pull View Post
what is the room size? carpets, amount of furniture? any treatment? speaker placement?
this is the in-room response of my old speakers, as measured with ARTA a few years back.
I'm showing the worst case scenario to make a point. A shoebox type room, no treatment with the speakers at the shorter wall, close to the room corners. There are certainly ways to improve my situation.
Old 15th December 2011, 04:13 PM   #102
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mr_push_pull
Behringer ecm8000 mic, mic preamp, any laptop and ARTA software.
Old 15th December 2011, 04:25 PM   #103
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally Posted by boris81 View Post
I'm showing the worst case scenario to make a point. A shoebox type room, no treatment with the speakers at the shorter wall, close to the room corners. There are certainly ways to improve my situation.
A shoebox type room is not necessarily a bad room to start with; trying different speaker locations and some room treatment might bring much improvement.
The Concertgebouw in Amsterdam is a shoebox type concert hall; it has about the best acoustics of all concert halls world wide. Another one, the Vienna music hall, is also of the shoebox variety.
Old 15th December 2011, 05:41 PM   #104
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonnica View Post
I would be very interrested in measuring the freq. response of my room. Do you have affordable tools to suggest?
Not exactly cheap and it only deals with the bass region, but Velodyne's SMS-1 usually gets very good reviews. It can display the room's response and its problems and then (mostly) correct it with an 8-band parametric equalizer, continuous phase control and other features. IIRC it can be used with any brand of subwoofer.
Old 15th December 2011, 05:55 PM   #105
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
I would be very interrested in measuring the freq. response of my room. Do you have affordable tools to suggest?
Another very affordable tool is a mini dsp.
When you take the time you can experiment with all possible configurations (equalization; filtering in case of multi-amping). In the end your own ears will tell. Use appropiate source material like male voices. With organ music it is not so difficult to locate and treat standing waves; just a suggestion.
Old 15th December 2011, 06:16 PM   #106
diyAudio Member

Originally Posted by boris81
Hopefully these graphs will illustrate what we are talking about.
The 1st graph is the frequency response of my speaker.
The 2nd graph is how that same response is affected by the room.

Attachment 255087

Even the best speakers are at mercy of the room. And my room sucks.
Quote:
Boris' room is actually fairly good, better than many recording studio control rooms I have measured.

In fact, just "fixed" a serious LF hole in the response in a control room by simply blocking off an entrance to another room, made the LF response far more even throughout the room, and eliminated the LF suckout that was happening at the client couch.

The most affordable tool to start with is a dB meter, your ears, and filtered pink noise of various low frequency frequency bands. Pink noise will give results more similar to music than sine waves

Various sine wave and filtered pink noise are available for free as downloads, or on test CDs.

Free RTA software is available too.
Old 15th December 2011, 06:33 PM   #107
Magz is offline Magz  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Hurts View Post
You are right, the big JBLs, Infinities, Polk Audios etc etc etc are gone. I'm thinking big speakers might be coming back, the big old monsters are showing up in garages and a new generation is being exposed to giants of yore--the little cube junk just can't compare.

They're not all gone...

My Infinity RSIIbs do not need a sub.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 001.jpg (63.5 KB, 107 views)
Old 15th December 2011, 06:48 PM   #108
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magz View Post
They're not all gone...

My Infinity RSIIbs do not need a sub.
nice speakers, I once listened to a pair of Infinity's that looked almost identical except that the midranges were cones not ribbons. nice relaxed sound, very musical.
Old 15th December 2011, 06:56 PM   #109
Magz is offline Magz  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_push_pull View Post
nice speakers, I once listened to a pair of Infinity's that looked almost identical except that the midranges were cones not ribbons. nice relaxed sound, very musical.
Those cone-mid speakers would be the RSII. The EMIM planar mids are extremely transparent now that I replaced the stock planar mylar diaphragms with true ribbon kaptan units made by Apogee Acoustics in Australia, and no more worries about blowing them out - in fact I removed all the fuses from the speakers.

You can see my homemade external passive crossovers behind the speakers, too.
Old 15th December 2011, 06:58 PM   #110
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magz View Post
Those cone-mid speakers would be the RSII. The EMIM planar mids are extremely transparent now that I replaced the stock planar mylar diaphragms with true ribbon kaptan units made by Apogee Acoustics in Australia, and no more worries about blowing them out - in fact I removed all the fuses from the speakers.

You can see my homemade external passive crossovers behind the speakers, too.
those were real speakers, nowadays there's a tendency towards cute little boxes with high WAF factor.

Hide this!Advertise here!