Apollo Construction Diary - Page 62 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th April 2013, 10:40 PM   #611
badman is offline badman  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Shin:

You should look into filling the screwholes on the waveguide- someone measured a surprising amount of ripple from screws like those, might've been djk? But it was significant HF ripple, like baffle edge diffraction.
Old 10th April 2013, 10:57 PM   #612
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badman View Post
Hi Shin:

You should look into filling the screwholes on the waveguide- someone measured a surprising amount of ripple from screws like those, might've been djk? But it was significant HF ripple, like baffle edge diffraction.
100% agree. A blob of modelling clay gets pushed over each before being covered with fabric.
Old 11th April 2013, 09:38 PM   #613
badman is offline badman  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinOBIWAN View Post
100% agree. A blob of modelling clay gets pushed over each before being covered with fabric.
Why am I completely unsurprised?

Great build shin, as always.
Old 16th April 2013, 10:48 PM   #614
diyAudio Member

Thanks badman
Old 16th April 2013, 10:57 PM   #615
diyAudio Member

Small update.

Playing around testing engraving in scrap material before committing to aluminium.

Click the image to open in full size.

And I've done a ton of work making CNC friendly refinements and all sorts of other small details for the One range. After testing I've swapped out the Peerless XLS10 for Seas L26 too. What you see here are the final versions.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Group Shot.4 F.jpg (132.7 KB, 1213 views)
File Type: jpg Engraving.jpg (154.9 KB, 1205 views)
File Type: jpg One.40.jpg (153.3 KB, 712 views)
Old 18th April 2013, 11:58 PM   #616
diyAudio Member

OK here we have my first go at cutting aluminium. I had so much fun with these. Wood seems boring in comparison and you've got to be so much more mindful with how you go about cutting it. Oh and the engraving was an absolute frigtastic nightmare as well. Broke 3 cutters before I finally hit the g spot. Admittedly the cutters are uber fragile since they're pretty much needles sticking out of a 3hp spindle spinning them round at 24000 rpm. Even getting it slightly wrong would break them. There's a strong chance I'll end up getting a laser cutter/engraver at some point because its a painfully slow this way. Looks cool though and that's what counts.

I finished them up with fine brushed effect and then sealed with a couple of coats of clear because without either that, etching or anodising then natural aluminium is a finger print magnet.

As an experiment I'm going to have a go at filling the text with black spray on the One.10 plates. Once the excess paint is sanded back to the aluminium leaving only the lettering black it should look alternatively awesome. I choose not to do it for the Apollo as I really like the way they're looking straight out.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rear Panel 01.jpg (159.3 KB, 646 views)
File Type: jpg Apollo Rear Panel 01.jpg (158.8 KB, 628 views)
File Type: jpg Apollo Rear Panel 02.jpg (120.5 KB, 633 views)
File Type: jpg Apollo Rear Panel 03.jpg (105.1 KB, 626 views)
Old 19th April 2013, 12:19 AM   #617
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

looks great!, I reckon keep trying to get it right with the CNC so its more reliable. with what ive seen, laser etching looks hardly noticeable unless you turn at a specific angle as its just like a very uniform surface abrasion, with no depth/relief, cutting maybe with some copper or something else behind to show though would look cool, but the logos would need some fiddling.
Old 19th April 2013, 12:31 AM   #618
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
looks great!, I reckon keep trying to get it right with the CNC so its more reliable. with what ive seen, laser etching looks hardly noticeable unless you turn at a specific angle as its just like a very uniform surface abrasion, with no depth/relief, cutting maybe with some copper or something else behind to show though would look cool, but the logos would need some fiddling.
Yeah they're pants on straight aluminium. But you can get some invisible etch spray that you apply before hand and once the laser has had its way you get a dark brown almost black text. Another option is to anodise the aluminium but the end result is pretty much colour dependant and you need more garish or dark colours for a nice contrast. Don't know if its just me but I'm not a fan of anything other than black, champagne or clear anodised and only the black would give good results with the laser.

At the more serious end and completely beyond my budget are the YAG lasers. Yum!
Old 19th April 2013, 01:29 AM   #619
Lusk is offline Lusk  Australia
diyAudio Member

They look really good, how did you manage to do the brushed effect on the aluminium?
Old 19th April 2013, 01:34 AM   #620
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusk View Post
They look really good, how did you manage to do the brushed effect on the aluminium?
An incredibly expensive machine that consists of your elbow and a block of wood with a bit of sand paper wrapped around it!

Hide this!Advertise here!