Apollo Construction Diary - Page 53 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th February 2013, 06:49 PM   #521
diyAudio Member

Hi Shin,

How did you make this angle side of the front baffle, see circled with red? Did you cut this part in an angle and glued another angle cut piece to it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Apollo08.jpg (245.5 KB, 592 views)
Old 9th February 2013, 08:06 PM   #522
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredlock View Post
Hi Shin,

How did you make this angle side of the front baffle, see circled with red? Did you cut this part in an angle and glued another angle cut piece to it?
Those baffle cut outs were done by 5 axis cnc because they're corian but with wood you could easily do the same thing with a mitre saw or a regular hand saw and some guides to run the blade up against. This is how I've done it in the past and it worked well.
Old 9th February 2013, 08:39 PM   #523
diyAudio Member

You can do the mitres with a 3 axis cnc, and a ballnose cutter, it just takes longer.

I'm impressed with how fast you can make those parts. I'm using milling software, and it's really designed to cut a part out of a block, not a bunch of parts out of a sheet, I need to look into that.

Shin, I can't remember if I already asked, but how does the Gantry stay perpendicular to the base? I think it's driven by two leadscrews, one each side? Is it held perpendicular mechanically (are the leadscrews linked with a belt?), or does it use differential homing, with a home sensor for each side?

Also, is that a new version of Mach3, or have you skinned it? From the glances in the videos it looks good.
Old 9th February 2013, 10:44 PM   #524
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_A_W View Post
I'm impressed with how fast you can make those parts. I'm using milling software, and it's really designed to cut a part out of a block, not a bunch of parts out of a sheet, I need to look into that.
The cnc really can shift. I'm still finding the limits but the last job I did I was cutting at 6.5m/min and it didn't break a sweat. I think it'd be fine up to around 8. Its a world of difference to the original.

I'm using solidcam and its really flexible with what you can do regarding part layout within stock material.

Quote:
Shin, I can't remember if I already asked, but how does the Gantry stay perpendicular to the base? I think it's driven by two leadscrews, one each side? Is it held perpendicular mechanically (are the leadscrews linked with a belt?), or does it use differential homing, with a home sensor for each side?
Its twin ball screws on the gantry with home switches for each to auto square the gantry each time you home.

Quote:
Also, is that a new version of Mach3, or have you skinned it? From the glances in the videos it looks good.
Yep its still mach3 but with the Mach 2010 screen set. Its a really useful addition with macros for semi auto changer thw sets the tool height between changes.
Old 9th February 2013, 11:18 PM   #525
diyAudio Member

Here's an example of some parts cut on my router as Mark mentioned, using a ball nose cutter, one at the start, and one right after cutting was finished. They did need a bit of sanding, but not much. It's really fun to watch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1934.jpg (600.1 KB, 568 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1947.jpg (635.0 KB, 513 views)
Old 10th February 2013, 01:35 AM   #526
diyAudio Member

So, how are you finding the valchromat?

I've found it in Australia, and have a small amount on it's way to me, so I guess I'll find out.

It doesn't seem to have significantly different density, MoE, etc. specs to good MDF.
Can you elaborate on what attracted you to it?

Keep the pics coming, we all (i'm sure) appreciate it ... I'm pretty jealous of your setup :-)
Old 10th February 2013, 10:46 AM   #527
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davewantsmoore View Post
I've found it in Australia, and have a small amount on it's way to me, so I guess I'll find out.
Thanks.

Good idea. If anyone in the UK wants a small sample of Valchromat I have plenty of off cuts.

Quote:
It doesn't seem to have significantly different density, MoE, etc. specs to good MDF.
Can you elaborate on what attracted you to it?
Its about 30% more dense than MDF. They use far more resin binder than MDF and this is where you getting that extra density. I was impressed with the finish after machining. Cutting pockets left a smooth and flat floor unlike MDF that will always furr up to some extent or ply the can leave a poor finish if your close to a ply layer since its not one homogenous material.

It is quite brittle however meaning edges chip easily. MDF will normally compress when it takes a knock but this will chip. Its a harder, stiffer and more plastic like material though so its to be expected.
Old 10th February 2013, 04:21 PM   #528
diyAudio Member

This is so cool! I love the look!
Old 11th February 2013, 08:12 AM   #529
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinOBIWAN View Post
Its about 30% more dense than MDF
Yeah, I was initially excited by that... however the figures I'm seeing for good MDF (700-750kg/m3), and valchromat are the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinOBIWAN View Post
Its a harder, stiffer and more plastic like material though so its to be expected.
This is encouraging. Thanks.
Old 11th February 2013, 12:09 PM   #530
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davewantsmoore View Post
Yeah, I was initially excited by that... however the figures I'm seeing for good MDF (700-750kg/m3), and valchromat are the same.
Density varies between cross sectional thickness in both MDF and Valchromat. The thicker the material the worse the consistency between the edge and center densities. Be careful to look at like for like ie. 25mm vs 25mm

Even so a good quality MDF would likely be on par with Valchromat when it comes to density. The problem is ensuring you can source and be sure your getting that every time. I know my local MDF stockist is all over place with MDF quality. Also the lines between MDF and HDF are often blurred so your likely better off going with HDF since this is always between 800-1000kg/m3. MDF has a wide range from 500-800kg/m3.

Density aside, Valchromat isn't MDF. It doesn't feel or finish like MDF.

Hide this!Advertise here!