Apollo Construction Diary - Page 44 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th September 2012, 04:22 AM   #431
diyAudio Member

Good clean CSS and jscript (HTML5) will produce a far more consistently usable website every day.

Also remember flash will not, ever, work on any iOS device, which now makes up a significant % of the internet connected devices.

1024x768 would be the lowest desktop resolution I would expect. Mobile device resolutions vary significantly, with HTML5 you can have CSS rules that will adapt the website layout to suit the device (and browser) being used.

I think, the graphic work you've done in flash should be generally usable in HTML5 and you won't need to redraw the icons, logos etc.
Old 12th September 2012, 04:26 AM   #432
diyAudio Member

OK I didn't need much of a push really so I'm going to scrap the Flash version. At the start I could have gone flash vs. CSS3/HTML5. I picked wrong! Only wasted a few days there
Old 12th September 2012, 05:07 AM   #433
ScottG is offline ScottG  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinOBIWAN View Post
OK I didn't need much of a push really so I'm going to scrap the Flash version. At the start I could have gone flash vs. CSS3/HTML5. I picked wrong! Only wasted a few days there
IMO..Silverlight, with a low graphic content alternative option.

Silverlight does require downloading and installing, but it's pretty much painless for just about everyone. (..there are a few rare exceptions.)

..It's ooooooh so buttery smooth and elegant (..at least the few times I've been on sites with it.)

On of the key things however will be making sure it gets a good ranking (with a search) on google. That's an entirely different thing to learn.

http://forums.silverlight.net/t/163429.aspx

Note though that the above referenced Silverlight 3.. it's now 5 and there might be better integration.

Last edited by ScottG; 12th September 2012 at 05:14 AM.
Old 12th September 2012, 05:23 AM   #434
diyAudio Member

Can't do Silverlight...

I don't have a book on it
Old 12th September 2012, 05:30 AM   #435
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinOBIWAN View Post
Can't do Silverlight...

I don't have a book on it
yes you do:

Build your first Silverlight web application

Old 12th September 2012, 05:54 AM   #436
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
SEO (Search Engine Optimization) is indeed a topic of its own in Silverlight. So far, there is no built-in way to make a Silverlight app search engine friendly. However, there are some workarounds that are all based on the same idea, namely to provide alternative, "crawler-friendly" content to web crawlers. Preferrably, this content is auto-generated so you don't have to maintain a "mirror" page manually, e.g. by transforming XAML into XHTML using XSLT, or by generating HTML from web service data in an aspx page

IMO just stick with CSS/HTML 5
Old 12th September 2012, 06:13 AM   #437
diyAudio Member

Microsoft Expression Studio 4 Web Professional | SuperPreview | Snapshot Preview | Intellisense | Modern CSS | Cross Browser Testing | Rich Media | Silverlight | Deep Zoom | Windows Media | Microsoft® Expression®

Apparently Expression integrates Silverlight and SEO reporting (though it looks like building with Silverlight without Visual Studio requires the "ultimate" version).

Last edited by ScottG; 12th September 2012 at 06:24 AM.
Old 12th September 2012, 08:49 AM   #438
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
IMO just stick with CSS/HTML 5
This.

The whole point of 'web' is that it should be device agnostic, any technology from microsoft will have a microsoft software optimisation built in. HTML5 is a buzz word for CSS/JS/HTML but since it is pushed by enough non-commercial interests it works pretty much everywhere other than old versions of internet explorer, which frankly you don't want to use anyway.
Old 12th September 2012, 10:41 AM   #439
Hsmeets is online now Hsmeets  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Although your website will not be very dynamic in the sense of continously changing content it still could be beneficial to base your website on a CMS like Joomla or Wordpress (and others).

CMS like those mentioned can be extended/customized with templates/plugins/etc to shape the look and feel to your likings and add functionalities like galleries/slideshows, often also other stuff is taken care of with a CMS like SEO and beeing 'Responsive'.

Am I allowed to make a small remark for you to think about regarding the text on your website example/concept? Who is your customer? and what does he/she want to read or learn, and on what will he/she be triggered to buy from you? Is talking about a specific brand of drivers or lead used to dampen of interest to the customer you target? Maybe lead usage is even putting people off :-)

Last edited by Hsmeets; 12th September 2012 at 10:50 AM.
Old 12th September 2012, 11:05 AM   #440
diyAudio Member

They look very good

Hide this!Advertise here!