Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th December 2011, 05:48 PM   #31
badman is offline badman  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
Actually that it's a render is even more impressive (to me). It looks real.

I'd say "someone" is getting *really* good with material textures and lighting with Solidworks.

Now if they just come out with that perfect 3D printer that would print everything correctly..
Funny, I was going to say the opposite. The texture on the steel is obviously fake, and the geometric resolution in the motors is lacking.

Why such sloppy work, shin?
Old 9th December 2011, 06:30 PM   #32
ScottG is offline ScottG  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badman View Post

Why such sloppy work, shin?
Bad Santa.
Old 9th December 2011, 09:54 PM   #33
AuroraB is offline AuroraB  Norway
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinOBIWAN View Post
those up

I'm not sure if I'll create a separate thread for the Aurora build. Most likely they'll end up in here.

Click the image to open in full size.
Can we please see more of the Auroa too....?

I mean , -- it is almost X-mas and all....

Best Regards..
AuroraB
Old 9th December 2011, 10:52 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

The mids are turning into something cool.

The top and bottom plates of the motor will have a large radius fillet machined around the edge. This will allow better airflow, less reflections and compression. Good thing too because the magnet on the CQ 15H is on the large side so every extra bit of clearance is worth it. This fillet along with the chamfers on the inside edge of driver cutout within the baffle will go along way to reduce reflection back through the cone.

If you look the surround profile closely follows that of the cone. The surround profile on these utilise the midrange specific type for reduced cone edge resonance and surround reflection giving a better FR. You do sacrifice excursion and a small amount of extension however.

Then on top of that the voice coil former is a kapton/alu hybrid and a short coil in long gap motor with symmetric drive for an improved BL curve.

Ohhh can't wait to hear these.

I can see it now:

Arthur: Hey Ant hows the speakers coming along?
Me: Erm yeah great. I'm still breaking the midranges in for you
Arthur: But you've been doing that for the past 2 months!
Me: Indeed, the suspensions are very stiff. I'm taking no pleasure in this!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CQ 15H 52 06 13 SDKAM with LR.1481.jpg (69.5 KB, 2761 views)
Old 10th December 2011, 07:09 AM   #35
diyAudio Member

Awesome looking designs!!!!!!

how much would this project cost? What are the drivers for the Aurora?
Old 10th December 2011, 07:18 AM   #36
Helmuth is offline Helmuth  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

The Raal and audio-technology drivers I was looking at lately. Also because other members do mention them as favorite for their next project.

I am not sure for the audiotechnology as what specs are concerned they look to me in the same category as scanspeak or SB-acoustics or Eton.

There is also a poormans audiotechnology layout driver new from monacor this year. This one got a cast frame and PP-cone and nice TS-parameters aluminum voice coil.http://www.monacor.de/index.php?id=1...artikelid=8446

Audio technology points out that a PP-cone has a very neutral tone to it self. And the other main technology is the voice coil material and diameter. Bigger voice coil diameter is as having bigger torque of the motor. So better acceleration depending on relation to cone weight and Sd I would think.

So shinobiwan what material and diameter voice coil are you go to choose?

Last edited by Helmuth; 10th December 2011 at 07:30 AM.
Old 10th December 2011, 07:43 AM   #37
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmuth View Post
The Raal and audio-technology drivers I was looking at lately. Also because other members do mention them as favorite for their next project.
These drivers work well together and you'll spot a few designs now using this combination. Truth is a good driver works well with any other similarly performing driver so it doesn't just have to be RAAL and AT.

Quote:
I am not sure for the audiotechnology as what specs are concerned they look to me in the same category as scanspeak or SB-acoustics or Eton.
I'd rate AT above Scanspeak but only marginally so if we're talking about revelator series. Sadly I found the illuminator series slightly lacking, at least in the 5". I've no experience with SBA or Eton but by all accounts they look like decent drivers.

Quote:
So shinobiwan what material and diameter voice coil are you go to choose?
52mm VC on the 5" and 8" with the PP, AT are likely using a different mix for its cones compared to others as they throw in some portion of magnesium silicate dust along with the polypropylene.

The 10" are 77mm VC with a sandwich cone construction - two thin carbon reinforced paper cones, which are glued together with an expanding foam.
Old 10th December 2011, 07:47 AM   #38
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxgravediggerxz View Post
What are the drivers for the Aurora?
Hi and thanks. Drivers are Scanspeak D3004-6600, Scanspeak 5" Revelator and Peerless XLS10
Old 10th December 2011, 08:49 AM   #39
Helmuth is offline Helmuth  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:

I'd rate AT above Scanspeak but only marginally so if we're talking about revelator series. Sadly I found the illuminator series slightly lacking, at least in the 5". I've no experience with SBA or Eton but by all accounts they look like decent drivers.

52mm VC on the 5" and 8" with the PP, AT are likely using a different mix for its cones compared to others as they throw in some portion of magnesium silicate dust along with the polypropylene.
I ask andrea about his exspirience with the sound AT. He used the AT with a morel tweeter I also would like to try for a long time.the Monitor 3

He said the AT technology is better in direct comparison so no direct improvement could be heart by listening to this AT project. Although it will sound very nice I do not doubt that.
Old 10th December 2011, 09:41 AM   #40
gornir is offline gornir  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hi and thanks. Drivers are Scanspeak D3004-6600, Scanspeak 5" Revelator and Peerless XLS10
Hi Shin,

Is it the midrange version of the ScanSpeak 5" Revelator or the mid-woofer version of the 5" Revelator you intend to use in the Aurora project?

Regards

/Göran

Hide this!Advertise here!