Apollo Construction Diary - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th December 2011, 11:06 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Hi Linesource and Tim,

Thanks for the suggestions. The modular route is something I've played around with in the past and will no doubt do so again in the future.

This particular project is pretty much bespoke but for the more realistically sized speakers its definitely worth looking at again. Its a good challenge to get all the individual components within a modular system designed well on all levels and both with each other and as separates. Once you've found that however I agree its very appealing.
Old 7th December 2011, 03:07 PM   #12
Tim F is offline Tim F  England
diyAudio Member

If your not up to the challenge, I can always arrange for some tea-chests to be shipped over to you to make a modular system more within your reach!!
Even then 'damping' the cabinets might prove slightly problematic.
Old 7th December 2011, 03:17 PM   #13
badman is offline badman  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim F View Post
If your not up to the challenge, I can always arrange for some tea-chests to be shipped over to you to make a modular system more within your reach!!
You may not have seen shins previous builds- he's up to the challenge
Old 7th December 2011, 03:29 PM   #14
Boden is offline Boden  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Hi Shinobiwan,

As much as I admire your work, I would take the separate subs advice to heart.

Impressive as the speakers physically and hardware-wise are, in sub-bass they are -as most integrated high enders- rather fighting the room than melting into it.
Welti and others have shown the way.

Good luck.

Eelco
Old 7th December 2011, 04:39 PM   #15
badman is offline badman  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boden View Post
Hi Shinobiwan,

Impressive as the speakers physically and hardware-wise are, in sub-bass they are -as most integrated high enders- rather fighting the room than melting into it.

Good luck.

Eelco
You have a point there. If I were our man Shin, I would consider using several sub locations, on both sides of the enclosure, spread out in both height and panel location, per tower. By distributing their locations around, and having 2 towers, he could distribute the bass source location a fair bit and gain much of the "multisub" benefit. One push-push pair at floor level, one 30% up, one 60% up (6 woofers per tower... oontz oontz oontz!)
Old 7th December 2011, 05:49 PM   #16
Tytte71 is offline Tytte71  Norway
diyAudio Member

Hi Shinobiwan... that is some serious pair of speakers! I really like your choice of drivers and materials... A true SOTA project
I know that the design is more or less frozen at this time so I will not dear to propose any changes
But anyway, have you concidered using constrianed layer damping (visco elastic glue) and vibration dampening of the driver chassises?

br, and good look with the project!
Old 7th December 2011, 07:14 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Appology for OT, I could not resist: "The Good, The Bland, and The Ugly"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Good.jpg (66.1 KB, 1608 views)
File Type: jpg Good_Metal.jpg (68.8 KB, 1585 views)
File Type: jpg Bland_Ugly.jpg (50.8 KB, 1559 views)
Old 7th December 2011, 08:21 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boden View Post
Hi Shinobiwan,

Good luck.

Eelco
Hi Eelco

Thanks for your post.

I can see where your coming from but these are in better position than the usual cabinet with a single driver mounted a foot or two above the ground. You've got that and you've got another closer to the ceiling and then that driver array is mirrored on the other side of the cabinet. Add to that another cabinet for stereo and you've got eight subs located in in different position across the front of the room.

The type of problem your talking about will always only be addressed with separate subs at the sides and rear of the room and that's beyond the scope of a stereo pair and moving more into room acoustics analysis and problem solving. Its possible to add subs to this to achieve this of course.
Old 7th December 2011, 08:39 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tytte71 View Post
But anyway, have you concidered using constrianed layer damping (visco elastic glue) and vibration dampening of the driver chassises?

br, and good look with the project!
Hi Tytte and thanks.

The drivers have magnet braces which will calm that sort of thing. AT drivers are well built and solid too.

There's no constrained layer approach but I do use 9mm + 18mm laminations for the walls and then further line the interior walls with 2mm lead sheet and 2mm bitumen. This along with fairly extensive bracing gives a significantly resonant free cabinet.

The baffles are Corian which is basically a composite of 1/3 acrylic mixed with 2/3 bauksite and then heated together. Its a superb material for loudspeaker applications but is expensive and difficult to machine.
Old 7th December 2011, 08:41 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim F View Post
Sounds like a safe bet! You know my address Tim

Hide this!Advertise here!