Vienna Acoustics Mozart xover - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st December 2011, 05:44 PM   #1
drdesmo is offline drdesmo  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Vienna Acoustics Mozart xover

Hi, I have a pair of the original VA Mozarts, (NOT the newer Grand version).
review here:
Vienna Acoustics Mozart loudspeaker | Stereophile.com

I'm upgrading (replacing entirely) the crossovers; new wire, new coils, new caps. The crossover is similar to below:

ERSE - Crossover Calculator - Second Order 2 Way

enter this data:

Besel
hipass=6
lopass=3
freq=2800

my xover has a 2.2 ohm resistor after C1 and a 2.8 ohm resistor after C2

the coils I've ordered are the same mH, but have a lower ohm value
how do I compensate?

regards,
drd.
Old 1st December 2011, 07:20 PM   #2
jgv is offline jgv  Spain
diyAudio Member

With an equivalent differential series resistor so that total value is the same.
Old 1st December 2011, 08:33 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

... which would make the exercise pointless...
" The construction features expensive hand-picked capacitors, 2% tolerance metal-film resistors, and 0.7% tolerance air-core inductors".... leave it alone, spend your money on CDs...
Old 2nd December 2011, 04:00 AM   #4
andy2 is offline andy2  United States
diyAudio Member

I don't really think you have to compensate for anything. I assume for the woofer, the resistor is in series with C2 which will probably has nothing to do with the coil that you order. For the resistor after C1, I assume that resistor probably in series with C1 as well, is used to attenuate the tweeter in which case, you don't have to compensate for the coil resistance.
You probably want L2 to have as low a resistance as possible. For L1, the resistance will affect the roll off of the high pass section but my guess is the effect of the resistance is minimal.
Old 19th March 2012, 05:33 PM   #5
Neonus is offline Neonus  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hi, I'm new here and very interested in the Mozart xover modification. The article in stereophile is well known, my experience about the 1 to 5 kHz notch is the same, and therefor I would like to do something to fix it. To ways are posible I think, change the polarity of the tweeter or change the xover. For both it is nessesery to open the backpanel, but I don't know if it's difficult to do and mayby to damage something? There will be silicone needed to close it in the end? So please drdesmo tell us (me) how you did your fixing. It would be very helpfull for me to have the xovers electrical plan to recalculate the xover. A or more Photos would help extremly. Thanks for your interest. I know my written english is'nt that good, but I hope it's understandable. Greets from Germany Neonus
Old 19th March 2012, 10:47 PM   #6
Account disabled at member's request

Hi Neonus, there is no need to open the cabinet or change crossover parts, just reverse the polarity on the tweeter section of the external bi-wire posts.
Old 20th March 2012, 06:08 AM   #7
Neonus is offline Neonus  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hi dabbler, thanks for your fast request, but on my boxes are no bi-wiring connectors, so I have to open it. But before I do so it must be clear what to do. I think there are 2 versions 1 with and 1 without bi-wire. My boxes are from the 199? years. I was thinking about changing the polarity during taking off the tweeters and putting in again. I don't know if it would be correct, because it seams that the reversation must be done at the beginning of the circuit, right?

Hide this!Advertise here!