Ultimate cheapskate OB midrange??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Another Op-Shop find
I know they are not "Good" but they work and they were cheap.
Was $5- too much?
Add the small sealed box I paid $1- for an 8inch woofer and a couple of second hand components and these may do for small gatherings.
Realistic #2011Aa
I have seen small tweeters with bigger magnets, 8 inch paper cone pleated paper surround and complete with "L-pad"

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
have been able to find out nothing, except that thousands were sold; perhaps 10's of thousands even. Found a google link to some selling in the Phillipines for $USD 55- a pair but that is way too much.
Last month I found a pair of "Broken" speakers on the footpath, hashed up old repair job and blown tweeters of course.
BUT
8inch Dai-1chi woofer ( SP8-30 ) which has reasonable "Doof-Doof" capability, 30 litre box and the same width as the midrange enclosure
SO
Budget project is now in the pipeline , I have a couple of ferrite cored 5.8mH coils in the spares box. First on the woofer and second LR ( electrical of course ) on the little one??
Somewhere around 400 should offer reasonable protection for the mid where to put the first order XO on the woofer??

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
8" WOOFER 30W
At least I have the basic parameters for the woofer
Paper Cone.
Foam Surround.
Z 8 (7.0dc)
Freq. 406KHz (±6dB)
Fo 44Hz
Sens’ 90dB ( this of course includes the huge peak at the top end )
Magnet 8 Oz
Voice 25mm
Power 30W nom.
Qms 2.20
Qes 0.80
Qts 0.59
Vas 61.23L
Zo 26.6
Sd 0.022M²
SP8-30

Last edited:
diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
OK been well over a week now.
Is 8 years too long to report back?
I didn't reply because they sounded AWFUL in a very one note doofish way.
Also lots of breakup in the top end so also useless in a 2-Way.
Huge component sale at the thieves market when the shed gets cleaned out soon. I'll be asking $10- but I might have to pay somebody to take them away

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.