T-Line project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
>I'm not shure what "driver down" means
I think it is distance from top/closed end of enclosure (or I'm wrong)
====
Correct. I take it you didn't build one, so what design did you build? Note that this isn't a TL, but a ML-TL, though if the sims are reasonably accurate should perform as good, or better, overall than a TL.

GM

These numbers for the BG20 were generated using Martin's
Classic Transmission Line Alignment Tables.

Attachments

• bg20_tl.gif
    bg20_tl.gif
    7.7 KB · Views: 574
Hmm, I just simmed the two 0.1 tapers since the lower the Qt, the >the taper required, and both are severely underdamped, being way too long with way too much Vb IMO. When I modeled this driver awhile back I wound up at L = 26.93", 47:1 (0.0213) ratio, driver at L*0.2338 for 40Hz Fb.

GM

Hi GM,
What sims did yuo use for this calculation :confused:
When I put yours enclosure data into Martin's mathcad I got an unevan graph.
But when I put BG20 data into Martin's Lowther ML TL design I got pretty good graph.
It seems that this ML TL design can be used with several drivers successfuly (Fostex FE 206E, FE 207E).

Zek

>Hi GM,
====
Morning!
====
>What sims did yuo use for this calculation?
====
???? If you mean how did I arrive at the values to sim, I use BoxPlot and some basic design concept spreadsheets I figured out based on the Qo measurement system, T/S, structural resonance theory, and lots of experimentation decades ago.
====
>When I put yours enclosure data into Martin's mathcad I got an unevan graph.
====
???? The MLTQWT worksheet should be used. It looks great using the published specs, which is all I have, so are you using measured specs? If not, I have to wonder if you inputted it correctly. I'll send you the sim if you like.
====
>But when I put BG20 data into Martin's Lowther ML TL design I got pretty good graph. It seems that this ML TL design can be used with several drivers successfuly (Fostex FE 206E, FE 207E).
====
Don't know, I always design from scratch.

GM

ok i will...

ok i will use Equilibrium's calculations with Martin's Classic Transmission Alignment Tables for Visaton BG-20 for TL tuned to 35Hz, but What and Where Exactly i have to put this numbers from picture? Help please!
I have BG-20, I have wood, but i don't have the plans- how much and where to cut....
I think that the best method for understanding maybe will be when someone post here picture with plans for TL with this BG-20
THANK YOU very much!
Best Reggards

Niki
Bulgaria

Attachments

• bg20_tl.gif
    bg20_tl.gif
    7.7 KB · Views: 232
Re: ME TOO, ME TOO

Equilibrium said:
I’ve been contemplating something similar.

A TangBand W3-871S in a sealed enclosure on top of a MCM 55-1855 in a TL.

What would be the advantage of using the W3-871 as a mid/tweeter over using something like 28-847S? The cost of the two are very similar.

The 847 seems to have a nice response from 2k to 20k at about 90-91dB.

The 871 while smooth, is not as smooth and the response seems to fall off after about 12k.

I'm assuming I can hear up to about 20k, but in reality most of us may not hear too much beyond about 12k.

I'm interested in hearing comments.

Cheers,
GM.

Re: Re: ME TOO, ME TOO

gmilitano said:

What would be the advantage of using the W3-871 as a mid/tweeter over using something like 28-847S?
The idea is to allow the 871 to play more or less full range by implementing a low cross over point of about 150 to 180Hz. For this particular speaker I was not looking for high SPL but for good sound at relatively low volumes, something no commercial speaker I have ever owned has been able to accomplish.

Re: Re: Re: ME TOO, ME TOO

Equilibrium said:

The idea is to allow the 871 to play more or less full range by implementing a low cross over point of about 150 to 180Hz. For this particular speaker I was not looking for high SPL but for good sound at relatively low volumes, something no commercial speaker I have ever owned has been able to accomplish.

Would you be putting a low pass on the woofer? If so, at what frequency? The 871 has good mid range response, but what about beyond about 12kHz? Is a tweeter for about 12-20kHz a reasonable option?

Re: Re: Re: Re: ME TOO, ME TOO

gmilitano said:
Would you be putting a low pass on the woofer? If so, at what frequency?
I thought I would start with a 1st order low pass at about 160Hz and a 1st order high pass at about 180Hz with a 6.8ohm-8.2mfd-.7mh (a la Zaph) notch. Maybe a small side order of BSC and a Root Beer in a frosted glass mug.
Is a tweeter for about 12-20kHz a reasonable option?
Yes, very reasonable. I thought I would build it without however and then let my ears decide.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ME TOO, ME TOO

Equilibrium said:

I thought I would start with a 1st order low pass at about 160Hz and a 1st order high pass at about 180Hz with a 6.8ohm-8.2mfd-.7mh (a la Zaph) notch. Maybe a small side order of BSC and a Root Beer in a frosted glass mug.

That is interesting that you will be cutting off the more expensive driver so low. What I find interesting is that the TL enclosure will only be for the woofer, which will operate at about 40-160Hz. The 871S will get no benfit of the TL as it will be seperately enclosed. I do however like your box design. How did you come up with the interior baffle and front large open port? Is that a software design?

The reason I am interested in your project is becuase the TangBand W3-871S is a driver that I am interested in. I am also interested in the 28-847S and am looking for a suitable 5" to 8" woofer/mid woofer.

I am considering a TL with two W3-871S and a TL with a 5" to 8" woofer/mid woofer and a 28-847S. Unfortuneatley, I am a very slow mover.

Equilibrium said:

Yes, very reasonable. I thought I would build it without however and then let my ears decide.

If you do decide to go with a tweeter, how will you incorporate it in your box? Do you have a tweeter in mind?

Keep us updated, I'd like to see what you go with and how it turns out.

Cheers,
GM.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.