Speaker choice for a LM3886 chip amp - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th November 2011, 11:09 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Speaker choice for a LM3886 chip amp

Hello!

Since I'm new to this forum and also new to DIY audio here's my first cry for your guidance. I'm about to build my fist amplifier and I've decided I'm going to start with a LM3886 chip amp.

What I've decided is that I'll buy my first pair of speakers. I'll leave the DIY speakers for much much later. I'm not looking for something fancy, I'm not aiming for audiophile quality (yet), as my budget is so tight you'll probably laugh... I'm aiming somewhere around 250 Euro or 300 USD or 1000RONs.

I have no experience so far as I've been using some cheap PC speakers for the past 10 years or so. Anyway, even some cheap bookshelf speakers will be a considerable jump in audio quality from my point of view.

I'm looking for products that are widely available in Europe.

I'm open for all suggestions and please be lenient... renovating and refurnishing my newly bought apartment puts a heavy strain on my budget... But I need a place to start and work my way up.
Old 29th November 2011, 12:12 PM   #2
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

buy 8ohms speakers. Not 6ohms, not 4ohms, not 4 to 8ohms.
buy higher efficiency speakers. Not 84dB/W @ 1m, not 86dB/W @ 1m.
try for a sensitivity of 90dB/W @ 1m or higher.
Old 29th November 2011, 01:09 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hello Andrew,

thanks for the replay.

I had the same in mind, after reading some posts.

I think I may find some pioneer or yahama speakers that would fit in this limits. I have to check their datasheets for minimum impedance as I've seen some speakers that are rated at 8 ohms but there's also a minimum impedance listed and I've seen it go as low as 3.6 ohms... I hope I'm not mistaking.

By the way, what do you think about these speakers: Cerwin-Vega VE-15F?
Some specs I found: 26 Hz - 20 kHz frequency response, Sensitivity (1w/1m): 95 dB, about 29Kg (~64 pounds), but I can't find any info on the impedance.

A quick search on the internet revealed that people are generally happy with this brand but personaly I've never heard of it.

Or how about these: Pioneer CS7070?
Old 29th November 2011, 01:35 PM   #4
DrDyna is offline DrDyna  United States
diyAudio Member

There are some nice little Klipsch speakers that sorta fit into that budget.

Do you prefer larger floor standers or bookshelf?
Old 29th November 2011, 09:56 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I haven't made that decision yet... I guess the sane thing to do now, is to go with bookshelf speakers now, at least until my son grows older, 5 year old or so.. Until then, I gotta "protect" a lot of stuff around the house from his curiosity.

So yeah, bookshelf speakers for now, so I won't cry my heart out two days later after buying floor standers and my son discovers what happens when he pokes the drivers with daddy's screwdriver. Yes... my tools are his favorite toys, I could not even trick him with a toy tool box... No sir...

I'll look around for what Klipsch has to offer that fits my budget.
Old 29th November 2011, 11:06 PM   #6
Rudolf is offline Rudolf  Germany
diyAudio Member

Behringer B2031P. There are lots of opinions about them on the net. Probably look what Dantheman has to say about them in his blog

Rudolf
Old 30th November 2011, 08:10 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolf View Post
Behringer B2031P. There are lots of opinions about them on the net. Probably look what Dantheman has to say about them in his blog

Rudolf
Thanks, they look nice, they're in my price range, but they're 4 ohms... I'm looking for 8 ohms...
Old 30th November 2011, 08:52 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolf View Post

Rudolf
Yes, Behringer is a good idea. They use LM3886 chip amp in their active version.
If you want better sound with chip amps, use only the inverting mode with input C=4,7uF, series R=16kOhm, feedback R= 470kOhm and parallel 2,2pF. The noninverting input R=470kOhm and parallel 100nF to the ground. The offset Vdc<5mV. Between inverting and non inverting input put a 120pF for eliminating oscillations. between 4 and 8 leg put a 6,2kOhm, and 100uF to the ground from 8.leg. Power supply 2x 4700uF/63 V regardless of supply voltage, (the 63V capacitors better quality, then 25-35V.)
Use halogen free wires (stranded or solid) everywhere. Use star grounding.

LM3886 CAN handle 4Ohm speakers, it is not a problem. using 4Ohm speaker, don't use more, than +/- 28V supply.

Last edited by tarcuper; 30th November 2011 at 08:55 AM.
Old 2nd December 2011, 01:12 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcuper View Post
Yes, Behringer is a good idea. They use LM3886 chip amp in their active version.
If you want better sound with chip amps, use only the inverting mode with input C=4,7uF, series R=16kOhm, feedback R= 470kOhm and parallel 2,2pF. The noninverting input R=470kOhm and parallel 100nF to the ground. The offset Vdc<5mV. Between inverting and non inverting input put a 120pF for eliminating oscillations. between 4 and 8 leg put a 6,2kOhm, and 100uF to the ground from 8.leg. Power supply 2x 4700uF/63 V regardless of supply voltage, (the 63V capacitors better quality, then 25-35V.)
Use halogen free wires (stranded or solid) everywhere. Use star grounding.

LM3886 CAN handle 4Ohm speakers, it is not a problem. using 4Ohm speaker, don't use more, than +/- 28V supply.
Okay, I'll keep that in mind!

By the way, what do you guys think of the Pioneer CS-7070 speakers? I know they're floor standers but I may find a way to protect them from my son's curiosity.
Old 2nd December 2011, 01:29 PM   #10
DrDyna is offline DrDyna  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueridge View Post
Okay, I'll keep that in mind!

By the way, what do you guys think of the Pioneer CS-7070 speakers? I know they're floor standers but I may find a way to protect them from my son's curiosity.
Compared to the Behringer they're probably not as good. The best option might be to find a retailer that offers full refunds and order a few different pairs and evaluate them, returning the ones that don't fit your needs or you don't like.

Hide this!Advertise here!