Speaker choice for a LM3886 chip amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello!

Since I'm new to this forum and also new to DIY audio here's my first cry for your guidance. I'm about to build my fist amplifier and I've decided I'm going to start with a LM3886 chip amp.

What I've decided is that I'll buy my first pair of speakers. I'll leave the DIY speakers for much much later. I'm not looking for something fancy, I'm not aiming for audiophile quality (yet), as my budget is so tight you'll probably laugh... I'm aiming somewhere around 250 Euro or 300 USD or 1000RONs.

I have no experience so far as I've been using some cheap PC speakers for the past 10 years or so. Anyway, even some cheap bookshelf speakers will be a considerable jump in audio quality from my point of view.

I'm looking for products that are widely available in Europe.

I'm open for all suggestions and please be lenient... renovating and refurnishing my newly bought apartment puts a heavy strain on my budget... But I need a place to start and work my way up.

Hello Andrew,

thanks for the replay.

I had the same in mind, after reading some posts.

I think I may find some pioneer or yahama speakers that would fit in this limits. I have to check their datasheets for minimum impedance as I've seen some speakers that are rated at 8 ohms but there's also a minimum impedance listed and I've seen it go as low as 3.6 ohms... I hope I'm not mistaking.

By the way, what do you think about these speakers: Cerwin-Vega VE-15F?
Some specs I found: 26 Hz - 20 kHz frequency response, Sensitivity (1w/1m): 95 dB, about 29Kg (~64 pounds), but I can't find any info on the impedance.

A quick search on the internet revealed that people are generally happy with this brand but personaly I've never heard of it.

Or how about these: Pioneer CS7070?

I haven't made that decision yet... I guess the sane thing to do now, is to go with bookshelf speakers now, at least until my son grows older, 5 year old or so.. Until then, I gotta "protect" a lot of stuff around the house from his curiosity.

So yeah, bookshelf speakers for now, so I won't cry my heart out two days later after buying floor standers and my son discovers what happens when he pokes the drivers with daddy's screwdriver. Yes... my tools are his favorite toys, I could not even trick him with a toy tool box... No sir...

I'll look around for what Klipsch has to offer that fits my budget.

Behringer B2031P. There are lots of opinions about them on the net. Probably look what Dantheman has to say about them in his blog

Rudolf

Yes, Behringer is a good idea. They use LM3886 chip amp in their active version.
If you want better sound with chip amps, use only the inverting mode with input C=4,7uF, series R=16kOhm, feedback R= 470kOhm and parallel 2,2pF. The noninverting input R=470kOhm and parallel 100nF to the ground. The offset Vdc<5mV. Between inverting and non inverting input put a 120pF for eliminating oscillations. between 4 and 8 leg put a 6,2kOhm, and 100uF to the ground from 8.leg. Power supply 2x 4700uF/63 V regardless of supply voltage, (the 63V capacitors better quality, then 25-35V.)
Use halogen free wires (stranded or solid) everywhere. Use star grounding.

LM3886 CAN handle 4Ohm speakers, it is not a problem. using 4Ohm speaker, don't use more, than +/- 28V supply.

Last edited:
Yes, Behringer is a good idea. They use LM3886 chip amp in their active version.
If you want better sound with chip amps, use only the inverting mode with input C=4,7uF, series R=16kOhm, feedback R= 470kOhm and parallel 2,2pF. The noninverting input R=470kOhm and parallel 100nF to the ground. The offset Vdc<5mV. Between inverting and non inverting input put a 120pF for eliminating oscillations. between 4 and 8 leg put a 6,2kOhm, and 100uF to the ground from 8.leg. Power supply 2x 4700uF/63 V regardless of supply voltage, (the 63V capacitors better quality, then 25-35V.)
Use halogen free wires (stranded or solid) everywhere. Use star grounding.

LM3886 CAN handle 4Ohm speakers, it is not a problem. using 4Ohm speaker, don't use more, than +/- 28V supply.

Okay, I'll keep that in mind!

By the way, what do you guys think of the Pioneer CS-7070 speakers? I know they're floor standers but I may find a way to protect them from my son's curiosity.

Okay, I'll keep that in mind!

By the way, what do you guys think of the Pioneer CS-7070 speakers? I know they're floor standers but I may find a way to protect them from my son's curiosity.

Compared to the Behringer they're probably not as good. The best option might be to find a retailer that offers full refunds and order a few different pairs and evaluate them, returning the ones that don't fit your needs or you don't like.

Yeah, I'd like that too, but I'm afraid I won't find such a retail store here in Romania... Maybe I'll try this with online retailers that have a no questions asked return within 30 days policy...

My search continues... meanwhile I also found these speakers being quite well spoken of: MONITOR AUDIO Bronze BX2.

If you are near Rousse - Bulgaria or have friends who travel through there, you can choose from those:
Vissokogovoriteli PLC, Blagoevgrad, Bulgaria

Rousse
3 Boyantzi Street
Tel.: +359 82-825 797
ЕТ "Kipa"

Rousse
2 Kolednitza Street
Tel.: +359 82 874 000, Fax: +359 82 874 000
"Radius" Store

The company Elimex also sells them:
??????? ???????? ???????????,???????????,???????,?????????? ?????????,?????????? ?????
ruse@elimex.bg

I would go for a two way with two of these:
VKN 12211/311
And a pair of these:
VLD 13
or
VLDD 80
or
VLD 40

The ribbon drivers are all around $72 per driver and the bass drivers are $48 per driver. They require large boxes. The bass is easy to crosover as it does not exhibit cone breakup and falls smoothly after 4 kHz. The ribbons require strict 3-rd order quality crossover for safe operation. 4 khz@ -6 db crossover point is a great sounding combination and you can always add a midrange but I doubt you'll ever need one ;)

Have in mind that the bass drivers must be inspected by at least average hobbyst prior to purchase!

p.s. and forget the Cerwin Vega unless it is at least 20 years old. I went through the CW period myself, now my E712's have the above quoted bass driver, midrange from VE-5M, another tweeter and redesigned crossovers :LOL: they are a nice looking boxes indeed.

Best Regards! :)

Last edited:
Consider something like Fostex full range from Madisound (personally running FE206ES). Madisound do have in stock better version now FE203En-S or you can go with Fe166En Fe206En if looking for something less pricey.

Fostex provides plans for back loaded horns or you can google other horns plans on Internet. Birch plywood can be purchased & cut in a nearest store similar to Home Depot or Lowe's (just figure out how one called in your own country/neighbor).

I would say full range backloaded horn is very straightforward build that will provide you with decent sound.

Well, I'm aware that LM3886 has it's limit and only so much performance can be squeezed out of it, but I've decided that this is the place to start and work my way up towards better amplifiers.

As for the speakers, DIY speakers is out of the question now. I lack especially the time to do this not to mentions the tools... I know I have better options with DIY, but for now I'm sticking to ready build solutions.

Depending on how the budget for the speakers will turn out I may stick to the MONITOR AUDIO Bronze BX2. They had a lot of good reviews and I can also extend it to a 5.1 home cinema system that my wife wishes. I'll search for more detailed review of these speakers before I make my final purchasing decision.

That's why I also wanted to know what do you think of these speakers... I also saw some Boston Acoustics speakers (A 250) that also had very positive reviews, but they're quite out of my budget by 50% or so....

I'm also keeping an eye opened for Klipsch.

Bottom line is... the LM3886 chip amp is just a starting point... Next stop on my road map is a LM49830 based amplifier, biased towards class A.

But right now I need something that sounds good when driven by a chip amp and will work even better when driven by a more capable amp.

Chip amps are just like any other amp. The LM 3886 is used even in the Linn Karma, Chakra or whatever their 10.000$ amp is called...
So it shouldn't be considered at a decision biasing circumstance. Buy whatever you are able to audition at your local Hi-Fi store.

Well, I made up my mind.

I'm going to stick with the Monitor Bronze BX2 for the beginning.
I'm keeping the Behringers as the next choice.

I've been searching for a graph of the impedance versus frequency for these speakers, but found none so far. Does any of you have any hidden resources? :)

The graph is also useful for properly sizing the power supply.

Perhaps starting January I'll be able to work on the amplifier design. My aim is to describe the design process either on this forum or on a blog.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.