Building first speaker - "best" design?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I know this is the impossible question but I've been reading and racking my brain trying to figure out what to do.

I've assembled the BR1 kit from PE and I've assembled and getting ready to test a Chip Amp so I've got the very basics.

I finally have the times and means to take this up as a hobby and I've wanted to for quite a long time.

I'm looking for a first useful project. I've thought about buying the TriTrix kit from PE but I'd like to use these in my house, most likely in the bedroom.

From a $ to performance standpoint is there better than the TriTrix? I can build a simple cabinet and have all i need to do it so I've been going back and forth between buying the kit with a more detailed cabinet than I could make, or picking a better component set for the speakers and building a simpler cabinet.

Want to keep cost reasonable for my first try. A lot of kits out there can use the PE curved cabinets. 2 reasons I do not want to do this, 1 is if I screw up the cabinet there is $250 and its $250 for a cabinet when I could build something less esthetically pleasing but just as capable for much much less.

I never thought I had ADD until I started looking at all this stuff :)

The room they'd be used in is 17x13. Be used mostly for music although we do it the current speakers for watching TV but not for HT in the room.

I want to invest something to build a set but I want to be happy with them when I'm done if that makes sense. If I had a target of $350 for materials not including cabinets, I have all the MDF and that already, what could I do?

Is there a better set of parts to use the TriTrix cabinets? Most of what I saw were for sealed cabinets not the open cabinets like PE has.

Thanks for what I'm sure is a open ended question.

...I want to invest something to build a set but I want to be happy with them when I'm done if that makes sense. If I had a target of $350 for materials not including cabinets, I have all the MDF and that already, what could I do?
Buying from the shop the "ready made in china" is usually cheaper, but DIY is more fun.
Price: $332.00
SEAS CA18RNX (H1215)+SEAS 27TDFC (H1189)
Seas Mimir 2-Way Speaker Kit - Pair - Parts Only: Madisound Speaker Store
You have the advantage of buying from US a nice kit with SEAS drivers and a classic crossover included.
SEAS Prestige CA18RNX (H1215) 7" Coated Paper Cone: Madisound Speaker Store
SEAS Prestige 27TDFC (H1189) Textile Dome Tweeter: Madisound Speaker Store

Thanks for the suggestions.

I just spent some time in the garage trying out the router and speaker jig I have for it. Time to go back to the store for some ear protection :)

That's a pretty cutting sound.

I had looked at the Stentonian's before but I was wondering if the cabinet for a first shot might be a bit much to tackle.

The Pluto's look cool but probably a bit too much detail for my patience level right now. I'll admit it I'm looking for quick and dirty gratification.

The SEAS kit looks pretty easy. I'd more focus on the cabinet portion having done the other two parts and the cabinet seems pretty simple to build.

The hard part is comparing to what I have and getting a point of reference. I have Deftech 7002's right now in the living room which I've often thought of replacing.

I know all of this is subjective but if I was looking for something better where would I start? I looked at the Statements and a few others but everyone loves everything they build but what is the point of reference for them?

Thanks for the suggestions.

I just spent some time in the garage trying out the router and speaker jig I have for it. Time to go back to the store for some ear protection :)

That's a pretty cutting sound.

The most ironic thing on these forums is how many people I've read about that have used power tools without ear protection :)

Or the ones that want to listen in the 100db range.

For that price range I went with Zaph ZA5. I'm running the 5.3 center, and two 5.2s. Boxes are built for 3.5 mtm also, then I'll move the 5.2s to my office,or maybe as surrounds.

For 350 you can get all the parts for a pair of 5.3t from madisound

How about a kit from GR Research ?

Here is a great deal for a complete XL-S kit, less the cabinet:

Best deal on loudspeaker kits ever.

I think that a winner, hard to beat that price and I assume that diagrams are available for the cabinets. At that price I can screw up a few.

The most ironic thing on these forums is how many people I've read about that have used power tools without ear protection :)

Or the ones that want to listen in the 100db range.

Yeah I didn't think the router was that loud until I started to use it. I had ear protectors I wear when using the grinding wheel or air ratchet in a closed area but I had a foam piece come off so have to replace them.

Yes, the plans for the cabinet are available. There is a link at the bottom of that post.

Talked to Danny this morning and have an LS Encore kit on the way.

Tough to beat the price and the cabinet should be pretty simple to make for a first try.

If I like them then they said he had a ton of kits still left. If I don't less than $200 except for final finish on the cabinets.

I just completed a pair of the TriTrix. I reviewed them on the PartsExpress site. Personally, I think you can do better. As I stated in my review, my own design for a TL is superior to the TriTrix (that's my opinion, of course but I've been doing this for a long time) and it costs about the same to build.

My biggest complaint about the TriTrix is that the Dayton woofers aren't in the same class as what you can get from the Scandinavian manufacturers. A Scan-Speak midwoofer (the PW-18J formerly made by Vifa) will cost about twice what the Dayton driver does, but it will have a lower Fs which will give you better low-end and you will only need one. Even better, this woofer has a very smooth response curve out to 4000hz which means that you can go with a very high tweeter crossover point which makes tweeter choice much easier. I describe my system as "almost full range with a little tweeter assistance". The result is a minimum of phase issues in the critical upper midrange. Put the PW18J in a TL enclosure and you will be astonished at the bass you can get out of it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.