Building first speaker - "best" design? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd November 2011, 05:53 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by malibujeff View Post
Yes, the plans for the cabinet are available. There is a link at the bottom of that post.
Talked to Danny this morning and have an LS Encore kit on the way.

Tough to beat the price and the cabinet should be pretty simple to make for a first try.

If I like them then they said he had a ton of kits still left. If I don't less than $200 except for final finish on the cabinets.
Old 22nd November 2011, 06:09 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Great. I built a pair last December for my daughter. They sound great.
Here are a few pictures of my GR Research X-LS Build
Old 23rd November 2011, 01:21 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

I just completed a pair of the TriTrix. I reviewed them on the PartsExpress site. Personally, I think you can do better. As I stated in my review, my own design for a TL is superior to the TriTrix (that's my opinion, of course but I've been doing this for a long time) and it costs about the same to build.

My biggest complaint about the TriTrix is that the Dayton woofers aren't in the same class as what you can get from the Scandinavian manufacturers. A Scan-Speak midwoofer (the PW-18J formerly made by Vifa) will cost about twice what the Dayton driver does, but it will have a lower Fs which will give you better low-end and you will only need one. Even better, this woofer has a very smooth response curve out to 4000hz which means that you can go with a very high tweeter crossover point which makes tweeter choice much easier. I describe my system as "almost full range with a little tweeter assistance". The result is a minimum of phase issues in the critical upper midrange. Put the PW18J in a TL enclosure and you will be astonished at the bass you can get out of it.

Hide this!Advertise here!