Damaged rubber ring Tannoy DC6T

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi folks!

I have a new set of Tannoy DC6T's which I absolutely LOVE! They are an awesome set of floor standers even with my lowly Yamaha RX-397 providing the power.

3 days ago I nearly had a heart attack when I noticed that one of the rubber rings had 'cat damage', I small rip in the top woofer. I have been in contact with Tannoy's dealer in Spain and they want €230 euros to supply me with a whole new cone! Thats a lot of money for me especially considering how small the damage is!

My question is can I in anyway repair this rip without replacing the whole woofer? I really don't want to pay out €230 + postage for such a stupidly small amount of damage. I really want to get it repaired incase it gets worse or starts to affect the sound quality.

I have attached a photo of the damage and would like your opinions. Can I repair it locally? Will it get worse? Will it affect sound quality?

Thanks in advance folks, your help would be really appreciated!

Martyn
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Hi,

Yes it can easily be repaired with no detriment to the driver.

If is a pvc type surround I have used a small quantity of "vinylweld",
(intended to fix rips in faux leather furniture), before to good effect.

If its more like a foam a small amount of PVA wood glue works well.

rgds, sreten.

I like where this is going. Looks like you guys are gonna save me a small fortune! Which comes as a great help considering I'm gonna become a Dad on Wednesday!

I gonna have a bash at repairing it with some of this Vinylweld, I will see if Leroy Merlin sells it, they should have some.

How do I go about taking the woofer out of the chassis? There are no screws or anything, I guess it´s glued in ?

Martyn

Martyn,
Ask Tannoy how the silver ring comes off unless you can see a recess in the rim. Obviously you do not want to damage the cosmetics of the baffle.

Some speakers with no visible screw points are bolted in position with a long bolt attached to the back of the cabinet, and loosening this simply allows the driver to fall out the front. I do not think the Tannoys are like this from memory.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.