Changing ohms values for mid and tweeter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I'm brand new to the board and have a ? Re a crossover that was given to me to try. My current setup is a pair od Cerwin Vega E 712's. The mid has a 4 ohm value and the tweeter is 6 ohms. From what I'm told all 12" CV woofers are 4 ohms.
The crossover that I would like to try is a 3 way from Simply Speakers. The specs say the low pass can be configured for 4 or 8 Ohms, the mid and hi pass are fixed for 8 ohms. My ? Is, what do I need to change or add to match the values of my 6 ohm tweeter and 4 ohm mid on the crossover?

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Unfortunately crossovers are not something that can just be 'upgraded'. Their design is very specifically tailored to the drivers and the cabinet. While it is true that a particular crossover might not happen to be ideal, and would therefore respond to 'proper' upgrading, taking a crossover from somewhere else and plugging it in is almost guaranteed to sound worse.

If there were something about the current crossover you didn't like, this is a good place to ask about it.

I have herd an audible difference in Cerwin Vega speakers when the crossovers were upgraded with better components on the stock crossover. I'm trying to get the best out of what most audiofiles consider garbage speakers! I like Cerwin Vega, always have. I know with some tweaking my E 712's could be great.

Hi, I'm brand new to the board and have a ? Re a crossover that was given to me to try. My current setup is a pair od Cerwin Vega E 712's. The mid has a 4 ohm value and the tweeter is 6 ohms. From what I'm told all 12" CV woofers are 4 ohms.
The crossover that I would like to try is a 3 way from Simply Speakers. The specs say the low pass can be configured for 4 or 8 Ohms, the mid and hi pass are fixed for 8 ohms. My ? Is, what do I need to change or add to match the values of my 6 ohm tweeter and 4 ohm mid on the crossover?

G,day Ccdave
I would suggest as to not complicate your project, firstly connect the new crossover as received then if you notice an over prescence of either the tweeter or midrange just add a small series resistance (wire wound resistor) of 3.3 to 6.8 Ohm to the positive input of either the tweeter or mid and see if that balances the sound

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Replacing existing components with better replacements can make a difference when done right. I think that using a generic crossover is another thing altogether. Still, there may be potential in it if you are patient. Don't throw the old ones, they will hold clues as to how to treat the drivers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.