choosing amplifier for bi-amped system

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi
i want to know what kind of power amp suits best for what type of driver? i mean i have heard tube amp sounds good for tweeters.....pls suggest me good amp kits (available on ebay or other online stores) for driving tweeters and woofers seperately. i am looking for around 75-100w power amp for woofers and around 25-40w for tweeters.

thanks
pranam

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
i have heard tube amp sounds good for tweeters.

Yes. I think they sound good with woofers too. I wonder if they say that because they are often lower power? or maybe it's because the more objectionable distortions are more audible in the treble.

If you have sensitive speakers (a good thing) then you might want to avoid poor quality class AB solid state amps in particular, otherwise it's kind of hard to go wrong.

I'd definitely go for s/h.

As for output impedance I find the lower the better to my ears but ears may vary.
The amps I use currently are rated with a damping factor of >400@1kHz.
There are once with lower o/p impedance (higher DF) but they are well beyond my means although I still might be tempted if a very cheap MC2 Audio MC1250 would cross my path.

The closest I have come to an 'objective' test was a friend and me used a pair of speakers one driven by one channel of one amp and the other by an identical amp which was bridged.
They sounded almost identical but the bridged amp was ever so slightly more loose in the bass. And I like tight bass.

i mean i have heard tube amp sounds good for tweeters

SO does solid state.
So does Class D.

;)

If it's a good amp and a good speaker design, it'll sound good

.....pls suggest me good amp kits (available on ebay or other online stores) for driving tweeters and woofers seperately. i am looking for around 75-100w power amp for woofers and around 25-40w for tweeters.

I would get a Hypex UCD400 for woofer + UCD180 for tweeter.

Of course that NC400 is tempting but its theoretical advantages seem wasted on a woofer and costwise, it seems like too much power for a tweeter.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.