Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
View Poll Results: Which Kit For High-end Home Theater?
Eekels' Mini 1 3.45%
SEAS 5INCH 1 3.45%
3-Way Classic 2 6.90%
CA18RLY/22TAF-G 0 0%
SEAS Excel Bifrost 3 10.34%
QUATTRO 4 13.79%
Lumine One 1 3.45%
A Different Kit - Please List Below 1 3.45%
I Have No Idea But I Like To Vote 16 55.17%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 16th November 2011, 08:43 PM   #31
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2MuchRiceMakesMeSick View Post
I think I can live with the bigger boxes as I think this 3 way will sound much better and a bit louder. I did email Troles and he said that I can make the box not as tall (substituting the depth) but I could not change the dimensions of the front (width 190mm only)

I want to see if I can do something in the the form of this shape but he has not responded.
Three way can be better, often they are worse too, coherence is harder to achieve. I expect in this case better than the average. As a comparison I have heard three ways that sound confused and aggressive way before Pluto 2.1 starts to sound distressed.

Larger bass drivers will certainly improve power handling. They could be good for the front pair, keep the others small.

Why that shape?

Last edited by rob g; 16th November 2011 at 08:45 PM.
Old 16th November 2011, 08:50 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

I should point out Pluto is not a speaker for Rockers who like to turn the wick up, it is only a small 2 way after all.
Old 16th November 2011, 08:51 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

Back to Why that shape?
Old 16th November 2011, 08:53 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob g View Post
Three way can be better, often they are worse too, coherence is harder to achieve. I expect in this case better than the average. As a comparison I have heard three ways that sound confused and aggressive way before Pluto 2.1 starts to sound distressed.

Larger bass drivers will certainly improve power handling. They could be good for the front pair, keep the others small.

Why that shape?

He said I must maintain the front of the box as 190mm wide so thats a sneaky way of maintaining that while also increasing the 'width'. I think the boxes are way to thin and need to be wider then the predetermined 7.5" (at least for a bookshelf type shape)
Old 16th November 2011, 08:57 PM   #35
diyAudio Member

Cool he just replied and said I could use that shape for the box. Awesome.
Old 16th November 2011, 08:58 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

You like broad baffle for cosmetics or for wave launch concept?
Old 16th November 2011, 09:01 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

Go wide with Troels!
Infinite Baffle Loudspeaker

Last edited by rob g; 16th November 2011 at 09:04 PM. Reason: too big for you!
Old 16th November 2011, 10:19 PM   #38
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Go wide with Troels!
Infinite Baffle Loudspeaker

Ill take a look at that setup.

This is what changed my mind from the small minis to the 3-way + sub
--> why

That and I feel that having that the bass going that low from the wall area will be outstanding.

Last edited by 2MuchRiceMakesMeSick; 16th November 2011 at 10:22 PM.
Old 16th November 2011, 11:57 PM   #39
diyAudio Member

Quote:
That's a thorny one. Now you're getting into loudspeaker religion!
Ribbon versus dome, paper versus metal etc.
Paper drivers are typically a safe bet but less apparently detailed than metal cones.
Also fine grain study of the loudspeaker response on and off axis. careful study of individual drive unit performance etc.
No one can honestly answer this for you, save perhaps someone who has built them all.
If the ribbon, metal cone design hasn't been handled well it could be harsh and fatiguing. That said I expect it is a well designed little speaker as the designer has a good rep it seems. I expect the ribbon speaker is the best version.

Personally I would prefer to see larger domes matched to those bass mid's. I do not think there is any real world audible benefits to tiny domes. Personal prejudice maybe I think it is better to have drive units with more power handling where music has the most energy, drive units that are as smoothly married as possible, operating comfortably in their working range. One of the smoothest mini's I have heard was the AVI NuNeutron III, a well designed speaker with a large tweeter for the cab size.

The colour should be in the music not made by the cone!
Can I ask why you picked ribbons over domes. I know its a controversial question as it is a matter of preference but having not heard ribbons (and non available local to listen to) I have no reference to compare against. Everyone has heard domes.

I only ask this since there are two versions and the only difference is the tweeters/crossover config

TJL3W-JP3 ribbon

SEAS TJL3W
Old 17th November 2011, 12:39 AM   #40
diyAudio Member

I have limited exposure to ribbons but have liked every one I have heard. Lots of good dome designs out there though. Also lots of poor ones.
Best treble I have heard would be from Electrostatics, Heil AMT (Adam Audio Tensor range including Heil AMT mid too, very nice), some ribbons and the brilliant Linkwitz Pluto 2.1 with it's actively equalized $20 2 inch fullrange!
I have heard poor speakers with good ribbons too. Mainly many, many cones and domes.

Hide this!Advertise here!