High End Home Theater Design 9.1 - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
View Poll Results: Which Kit For High-end Home Theater?
Eekels' Mini 1 3.45%
SEAS 5INCH 1 3.45%
3-Way Classic 2 6.90%
CA18RLY/22TAF-G 0 0%
SEAS Excel Bifrost 3 10.34%
QUATTRO 4 13.79%
Lumine One 1 3.45%
A Different Kit - Please List Below 1 3.45%
I Have No Idea But I Like To Vote 16 55.17%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 15th November 2011, 06:50 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

I really like the kit you suggested Monitor W15NeoSEAS W15CY001 +

The question is where can I buy the crossover parts in the US? I looked on parts express website but none of the part number match even though they claim to be a jenzen dealer.

I just ordered a DTQWT from jenzen and the shipping/conversion/bank fees was over $275. I would prefer to buy local/US if possible.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 15th November 2011, 06:56 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

These guys are great:
Madisound Speaker Components: distributor of loudspeaker drivers and parts for speaker builders.
Old 15th November 2011, 06:58 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Treble units
Madisound Speaker Store
Old 15th November 2011, 06:59 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

SEAS Excel W15CY-001 (E0015) 5.5" magnesium Cone Woofer: Madisound Speaker Store

I would say buy decent components but save money on the boutique caps.
Old 15th November 2011, 06:59 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Thats where i planned on getting the drivers but im not sure where i can get the crossover components.
Old 15th November 2011, 07:04 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Get decent air core inductors. Buy quality cap's from Digikey. Large value cap's buy Solen, audiophile but not nutty price territory.
Hardwire the crossover, put the crossovers in external boxes perhaps.
Old 15th November 2011, 07:28 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob g View Post
Get decent air core inductors. Buy quality cap's from Digikey. Large value cap's buy Solen, audiophile but not nutty price territory.
Hardwire the crossover, put the crossovers in external boxes perhaps.

Perfect. Thanks for the help.

Im just about to order but before I do can you tell me the main differences between
Monitor W15NeoSEAS W15CY001 +
and
SEAS 5INCH

Im leaning more towards the ribbon setup but the magnesium makes me nervous as others describe them as 'not as colourful'. Unsure really what that means.
Old 15th November 2011, 08:03 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

That's a thorny one. Now you're getting into loudspeaker religion!
Ribbon versus dome, paper versus metal etc.
Paper drivers are typically a safe bet but less apparently detailed than metal cones.
Also fine grain study of the loudspeaker response on and off axis. careful study of individual drive unit performance etc.
No one can honestly answer this for you, save perhaps someone who has built them all.
If the ribbon, metal cone design hasn't been handled well it could be harsh and fatiguing. That said I expect it is a well designed little speaker as the designer has a good rep it seems. I expect the ribbon speaker is the best version.

Personally I would prefer to see larger domes matched to those bass mid's. I do not think there is any real world audible benefits to tiny domes. Personal prejudice maybe I think it is better to have drive units with more power handling where music has the most energy, drive units that are as smoothly married as possible, operating comfortably in their working range. One of the smoothest mini's I have heard was the AVI NuNeutron III, a well designed speaker with a large tweeter for the cab size.

The colour should be in the music not made by the cone!

Last edited by rob g; 15th November 2011 at 08:10 PM. Reason: punk chew asian
Old 15th November 2011, 09:37 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob g View Post
That's a thorny one. Now you're getting into loudspeaker religion!
Ribbon versus dome, paper versus metal etc.
Paper drivers are typically a safe bet but less apparently detailed than metal cones.
Also fine grain study of the loudspeaker response on and off axis. careful study of individual drive unit performance etc.
No one can honestly answer this for you, save perhaps someone who has built them all.
If the ribbon, metal cone design hasn't been handled well it could be harsh and fatiguing. That said I expect it is a well designed little speaker as the designer has a good rep it seems. I expect the ribbon speaker is the best version.

Personally I would prefer to see larger domes matched to those bass mid's. I do not think there is any real world audible benefits to tiny domes. Personal prejudice maybe I think it is better to have drive units with more power handling where music has the most energy, drive units that are as smoothly married as possible, operating comfortably in their working range. One of the smoothest mini's I have heard was the AVI NuNeutron III, a well designed speaker with a large tweeter for the cab size.

The colour should be in the music not made by the cone!
Awesome explanation!

All of the tests that claim ~86db is 1w/1m right?

Also the RMS power output of the ribbon is 17watts? I guess thats not a good match for my receiver that is 9x130wrms
Old 15th November 2011, 09:44 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

You talking about acoustic output ? Or power handling. Two different things.

Hide this!Advertise here!