Supravox reviews - 215 EXC or Sig?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have been following the "field coil" discussion since the aborted Fertin group buy in Brian's earlier thread.

Some time has passed, can anyone give a rewiew/impression/2nd hand impression on how the Supravox 215 Sign.Bicone (not field coil) stacks up to the 215-2000 EXC (field coil)? And I guess to other well known speakers as well.

I am wondering if the extra money is justified. Also, what about a Supravox group buy?

Regards

Mike

Konnichiwa,

mgreene said:
Some time has passed, can anyone give a rewiew/impression/2nd hand impression on how the Supravox 215 Sign.Bicone (not field coil) stacks up to the 215-2000 EXC (field coil)? And I guess to other well known speakers as well.

Well, I have not yet heard the 215 EXC, but it is scheduled in for an upgraded version of the Speaker I'm working on, together with a nice Ribbon Tweeter and special Fieldcoil Supply designed also to raise the Qt of the Driver for open baffle operation.

Fieldcoil drivers have something few others have....

BTW, I should have my metalwork tomorrow so HOPEFULLY I'll have two Supravox Baffles playing soon.

Sayonara

Konnichiwa,

Well, I have not yet heard the 215 EXC, but it is scheduled in for an upgraded version of the Speaker I'm working on, together with a nice Ribbon Tweeter and special Fieldcoil Supply designed also to raise the Qt of the Driver for open baffle operation.

Fieldcoil drivers have something few others have....

BTW, I should have my metalwork tomorrow so HOPEFULLY I'll have two Supravox Baffles playing soon.

Sayonara

Hi,
Have you finished the new project with the 215 EXC ? If yes, I'm curious about your sound impression compared with the previous you had (215 Sig bicone) because I own a 215 Signature ( cut at 10KHz), am very pleased but I'm very tempted to buy the 215 EXC looking for a better sound, of course. Does it worth the change for the price it has? Most of the owners praise for the sound but I've read some articles where it is said that many electromagnet drivers sound worst than the ones with permanent magnets. I trust in you that's why I believe you'll enlighten me and help choosing one better solution FOR THE SOUND.
Thanks in advance for your answer!
Regards,
Horia.

hi. i had supravos bahia, and now have identical enclosure built myself with 215-EXC @ 2Amps , power supply built by myself, regulating amperes not voltage. FYI 12v car battery sound makes slow, 3D, and no trebble, too dark for my liking, and i do like dark sound ! so only option was to do new powes suplly, and i did that with succes afer many atempts:) can do clone of my power supply for 2000 eur. :) with my power suplly speakers regain dynamics, emotion, and 3D. so no need "Slow" sounding batteries;)

with exc you have less high frequencies, need tweeter. but can be listening without. jus need some help on top ~15000-20000 range.bass is fast, but it has diferent texture than permament magnet. it has identical sound to real drums with real skin... cant explain.. but its diferent what tou hear in typical "Hi-end" speakers. it has organic approach... not clunical like others speakers. Midrange.. hmm.. no comments :DDD many people coming in my house saing it is wideband speaker ?? noway,...:) where are subs hidden ?:) widaband 8" with bass !! i get 38 hz solid and even lower form wideband !!!

215 S-bic version have pleasand midrange, nice treble, but boomy bass.. that was annoying..but overal very good speaker.

Last edited:
215 S-bic version have pleasand midrange, nice treble, but boomy bass.. that was annoying..but overal very good speaker.

I think the Supravox 215 Signature Bicone doesn't have boomy bass "by nature". Boomy bass can be avoided with cabinet optimisation and internal damping material.

The Supravox-built Bahia actually has boomy bass but it's cabinet-related!

Just my 2 cents,
Gianluca

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.