Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th November 2011, 07:29 PM   #1
dtaylo3 is offline dtaylo3  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Tony Gee Mudulus?

Anyone build or heard Tony Gee's Modulus design with Seas bass, seas dipole mid and Aurum Cantus ribbon tweeter?
Old 10th November 2011, 08:50 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

No but I have heard a few others such as L'Orfeo, Paper Hatt and Andromeda MK2 and they are very well balanced, good "musical" speakers. Of course hard to compare since the Paper Hatt is a small 2 way monitor while the Andromeda MK2 has large 12" woofers. But all of them have top notch designed filters. I have met Tony a couple of time and he is a great guy and very good at what he does. You basically cant go wrong with one of his designs.

Scanspeakman
Old 10th November 2011, 09:43 PM   #3
DrDyna is offline DrDyna  United States
diyAudio Member

That L'Orfeo looks very interesting, especially the way the cabinet is made.

I'm jelly, I've wanted to use that midwoofer in something for a while. When I hit the lottery, that L'Orfeo is definitely on my radar to clone.
Old 10th November 2011, 10:06 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtaylo3 View Post
Anyone build or heard Tony Gee's Modulus design with Seas bass, seas dipole mid and Aurum Cantus ribbon tweeter?
Hi,

Yes, me; this one was an order to Tony for my personal use. Any questions about?
Old 11th November 2011, 05:13 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

What do you like best about the speaker? How is the dipole midrange and the bass?
Old 11th November 2011, 08:29 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

The ribbon tweeter is nice and crispy, it handles the low order filtering if you don't listen too loud; otherwise you see the ruban moving a lot but no distorsion heared however.
Bass go deep but a bit lean in the bass/high-bass ranges; however very tight and clean. Speaker, at least in my room, has to be sticked to the rear wall to deliver the best listening balance (this CA26RE4X may be best used in a vented enclosure).
Midrange is the tricky thing in this speaker; at normal listening level it is nice and neutral but can be sometimes raw and a bit harsh at higher levels; I ran a few measurements and it seems that this phenomenon isn't related to a flaw in the design...so perhaps the dipole load which may be difficult to get a smooth response regarding the room acoustic?
Image and soundstages are great, dynamics aren't the best I heared because of the bass character; all in all a speaker best suited to classical music than modern one IMHO.
Old 11th November 2011, 03:56 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Great. Thanks. While I like classical, I am more of a modern listener. Hmmmm.

Hide this!Advertise here!