Speaker Workshop - Compile new executable for Win7 and Mac. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th November 2011, 06:57 PM   #1
percy is offline percy  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Speaker Workshop - Compile new executable for Win7 and Mac.

You probably know that Speaker Workshop has been open source for a while. Speaker Workshop | Free Audio & Video software downloads at SourceForge.net .
There hasn't been much interest in modifying the source code, probably because there isn't much to fix or change. It works good.
But what I'd atleast like to see happen is the source be compiled into a more modern (Win7, Multi core) platform. And for a Mac platform as well.

Anyone here who knows and is willing to just recompile the source into an executable for a current platform and put it out there for download ?
Old 8th November 2011, 08:11 PM   #2
Kahooli is offline Kahooli  Abu Dhabi
diyAudio Member

it already works under win7... why bother?
Old 8th November 2011, 11:19 PM   #3
Ron E is offline Ron E  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by percy View Post
Anyone here who knows and is willing to just recompile the source into an executable for a current platform and put it out there for download ?
I wish I had a C++ compiler and the time to sit and work at it, there are a few things I would improve, although it works pretty well as-is once you know its little quirks.
Old 9th November 2011, 01:49 PM   #4
JMB is offline JMB  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Ron,
Though I no longer use SW, I wrote the Unofficial Manual some years ago. At that time, I, nor anyone else I knew, could clearly get the Distortion measurements to work with clear, repeatable results. Out of curiosity, has anyone figured it out?
Old 9th November 2011, 01:56 PM   #5
doug20 is offline doug20  United States
diyAudio Member

Do you still have that manual?
Old 9th November 2011, 03:12 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I believe that PinkMouse has the download at his site and if you go to Download, you can download it, last I knew. Claudio also has an excellent tutorial at his site: Claudio Negro's home page, how to project and test a loudspeaker using Speaker Workshop. The Manual was very large and would have to go through multiple emails. I hope that you find it fun and educational.

Jay
Old 9th November 2011, 03:17 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Sorry, my error, it is Wintermute who is hosting it at http://home.exetel.com.au/wintermute.../sw_manual.zip

Jay
Old 9th November 2011, 03:26 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I tried to compile the code with VC++ 6 under windows and it didn't work. I didn't much try much.
I had the idea to make a port into WxWindows and make it really multiplatform. There are some improvements to do.
Perhaps if I have time and courage I will try again.

Note Speakerworkshop works in Unix platform with wine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by percy View Post
You probably know that Speaker Workshop has been open source for a while. Speaker Workshop | Free Audio & Video software downloads at SourceForge.net .
There hasn't been much interest in modifying the source code, probably because there isn't much to fix or change. It works good.
But what I'd atleast like to see happen is the source be compiled into a more modern (Win7, Multi core) platform. And for a Mac platform as well.

Old 10th November 2011, 02:12 AM   #9
Ron E is offline Ron E  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome69 View Post
I tried to compile the code with VC++ 6 under windows and it didn't work. I didn't much try much.
I had the idea to make a port into WxWindows and make it really multiplatform. There are some improvements to do.
Perhaps if I have time and courage I will try again.

Note Speakerworkshop works in Unix platform with wine.
I have VC++5 and I looked at the contents of the sourceforge source code, and if I recall correctly it somehow seemed like there were some files missing?
Old 10th November 2011, 07:47 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Yes Ron E. I have had the same feeling but didn't investigate a lot.
I tried a brute force compilation and there were something wrong at the link stage but I don't remember what
I looked the file Audtest.vcproj. It seems to be a visual C++ 7.10 file.
Perhaps the building will work better with a .net compiler ?
I will try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron E View Post
I have VC++5 and I looked at the contents of the sourceforge source code, and if I recall correctly it somehow seemed like there were some files missing?

Hide this!Advertise here!