First time DIY speakers from scratch? (please, be gental) - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th September 2003, 09:51 AM   #11
martinv is offline martinv  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

If I were in your situation for a bedroom setup (and I was almost identically about ten years ago, though without the projector ), I would go for simplicity.

My first speakers were based on full range twin cone car speakers in a vented box. My second set were three way tri-amplified with electronic 48dB/octave and 24dB/octave crossovers. I later added a sub (yet another electronic crossover) and a parametric equaliser in an attempt to try and make it sound ok. During the second set I ended up buying lots of test equipment (IMP etc... $$$), just so I could tune the things! Looking back the simple full range speakers were more 'successful'.

The Jordans are well known drivers for their sound quality and full range ability. Put in a good enclosure I believe they will sound very impressive. Some people swear by them at any price! Maybe find a kit using the Jordons on the Internet? If you want to design your own enclosure, I would recommend first thinking about what testing tools you will need to buy/borrow in order to successfully do this. A sealed enclosure is easy, particularly if you can trust the published specs of the driver. A vented enclosure is more sensitive to construction errors and incorrect driver specs and will benefit from having some test gear - at least audio sine wave generator, voltmeter etc. Other enclosure types - horns, transmission line - are probably best developed or at least tested using PC based h/w and s/w for proper optimisation. Maybe the best choice in this case is to follow the cabinet design from some reputable source - I heard somewhere the Jordans work well in a rear-loaded horn??? I may be wrong.

I don't want to put you off designing everything yourself, but I read a quote somewhere that I thought is very true. It's better to build something that will work well and lead on to bigger and better future projects, than to give up half way through something that's initially too ambitious, requires too much time, and blows the budget.

Regarding the idea for the open baffle, that would probably look quite spectacular. The problem is (and it's a big problem) the baffle has to be large - 1m wide for example - and you will need some correction network for the frequency response in the bass and midrange (due to the baffle step). It's all possible but it's actually not as simple as it initially sounds. Maybe use the drivers from the Radio Shack drivers for an experiment after building the Jordans?

One more thing to consider. Do you need magnetic shielding? If you plan on jamming all this gear together in a bedroom you will either need magnetically shielded speaker drivers or to keep the speakers away from computer monitors, TVs, sensitive magnetic media etc. You say you are using a projector so maybe this is not an issue.

Happy designing!
Old 10th September 2003, 09:15 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the input martinv. Yeah, i love my projector, best $1000 I ever spent! Its hard to beat half-life on a 100" screen!

That sounds alot like me too, i built a few different speakers with 6x9 car drivers in ported and sealed enclosures, I later made a set of speakers with infinity kappa components, but i took them apart and installed them in my sisters car (wish i still had them).

Im probably going to go with these plans (vented):
http://www.ejjordan.co.uk/enclosures.html

I looked into the open baffle a little bit closer, I dont think it would work well in my room setup, because the speakers pretty much need to be against my walls, and its reccomended that open baffle be atleast 2.5" from your walls.

Thanks for everything guys!

Tyler

Hide this!Advertise here!