Stereophonic Sound from a Single Loudspeaker

Hi Elias,

I own quite a few recordings, electronica genre mostly, and in general any modern stuff that doesn't care about mono compatibilty for vinyl and FM, which have bass signal panned all acrross the place.

-------:-------

I did similar experiments (with 3 small bookshelf speakers) a year back or so to test the capabilities of simple rematrixing methods for "soundbar" speakers which are coming in fashion more and more, trying different (and frequency dependent) matrix factors -- inspired by Gerzon's Trifield equations. With multichannel convolver/DSP outputs there is complete freedom of choices.

While it basically works quite well, it's not my cup of tea, I prefer (and manipulate my stereo signals deliberately for) true stereo bass which is required IMHO to provide any sense of spacial realism (stereo reverb tails of bass signals even when those are panned center, that is). Oftentimes we hear people say that we cannot localize a SINGLE sound source sound below 150Hz or so, but this plainly ignores the fact that TWO speakers (signals) can provide a "sense of direction" down low there, either with two speakers or rematrixed to three in a conventional Trinaural/Trifield setup.

- Klaus

Hi Klaus,

You've seen the pics of my first prototype of the single speaker stereo.. with the FRS8 and all.. There is no bass to start with :D

I'm using separate dipole bass below 200 Hz.

I may not recommend using this single speaker concept at bass, since at most recordings the bass is mono so it will be emitted as single mono speaker, which do not perform well in a small room acoustic space. I've talked about that earlier :)
Elias Pekonen Home Page - Dipole Bass vs Monopole Bass

What comes to the ability to localise bass, I've seen studies indicating it is possible down to the lowest octave 20Hz, BUT it may require free field conditions since in a small room (smaller than or comparable to wavelength) there is no propagating wavefield and ITD is ambiguous.

Using more than one bass loudspeaker with decorrelated signal (e.g. reverb) may externalise bass, but I cannot say for sure if it is localisable. However, my hypothesis is even externalised bass can help in generating more believable sound image because not heavily contradicting cues take place.

- Elias

Elias, I seem to have missed how you achieve the 0.5x matrix-ing of the stereo signal. Are you using passive attenuating, or DSP, or active filtering? :scratch:
I'm enjoying the thread, regardless.

It's purely passive, see post #11. Very easy !

Note, similar idea can be used in other spread speaker matrix reproduction systems, like Trinaural, or the one CLS is using.

I'm integrating all the 3 channel speakers as one.

Looking at your avatar, you have potential ! You'll already have one element at the top of the box :D Now, but two more elements at the sides at do some rewiring :D

- Elias

The filter is steering high freq energy from the direct sound (attenuation) to the side (boost) which will be reflected as indirect sound which adds decorrelation.

This will help in spatially homogenizing pinna cues ! The loudspeaker itself will not be localisable.

- Elias

quite like an electric equivalent of the pillow trick or is there something I don't understand?

quite like an electric equivalent of the pillow trick or is there something I don't understand?

While the pillow only attenuates the direct sound, filter also boost side signals.

Another difference is the amount of level shift which with pillow was up to 15dB attenuation at the top end, the filter only attenuates few dB. The side boost is about the same level as the direct sound attenuation.
However, I haven't fully optimised the filter yet. But it seems to be that less direct sound attenuation is enough if at the same time side signals are boosted.

Extra benefit of the filter is it looks more serious :D

- Elias

While the pillow only attenuates the direct sound, filter also boost side signals.

Another difference is the amount of level shift which with pillow was up to 15dB attenuation at the top end, the filter only attenuates few dB. The side boost is about the same level as the direct sound attenuation.

so a few dB here and a few dB there and then we have around 10 dB of difference in sum between the level of the direct and the reflected sound - not that far from 15 dB from the pillow trick after all

it seems to be that less direct sound attenuation is enough if at the same time side signals are boosted.

of course - clearly it is about relative levels of the direct sound vs reflected sound

Extra benefit of the filter is it looks more serious :D

- Elias

this I cannot dispute :D

still I don't understand the causes of the difference in performance between SSS and stereo bipole with pillow

can You do some comparative measurements with wavelets?
such measurement could reveal what exactly is going on

still I don't understand the causes of the difference in performance between SSS and stereo bipole with pillow

For the SSS a center panned signal produces real central sound source for full range spectrum, for example for a vocalist. But for The Cardboard with pillow the direct sound does not exist for the large portion of the spectrum for the same center panned signal. The perceptual difference is clear, night-and-day alike comparison. The SSS is better.

- Elias

I have taken a more thorough look at this diagram:
This schematic allows comparison between x = 0 (Stereolith) and x = 0.5 (vector steering) by a single switch ! (x = 0 means switch is closed)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

and perhaps now I understand it a bit better :)

it now looks to me that an alternative to SSS could be a bipole with direct sound blocker AND xL+xR channel in front of the blocker as the -xR and -xL are there instead of the direct sound blocker

OTOH it would be more like convetional 3-channel setup with which we are told (in the study You have linked to recently) not to expect any miracles vs conventional 2-channel

and yet here You claim that it is like
difference is clear, night-and-day alike comparison.

so perhaps what matters here is that with SSS ears pick up not only L and R and xL+XR signals but also -xR and -xL signals from the front 0 degrees direction as the part of the direct sound?

but the what psychoacoustical principle does operate here? :confused:

but the what psychoacoustical principle does operate here? :confused:

Apparently there are 2 main difference between x = 0 and x = 0.5. And especially if x = 0 is enhanced with pillow.

1)
For low freqs having wavelength longer that element spacing, both generate same output because (L - xR) + (xR + xL) + (R - xL) = R + L.
But for high freqs where directionality is achieved due to driver dimensions and/or box size, x = 0 have no direct sound with pillow and distorted off axis direct sound without pillow whereas x = 0.5 have defined direct sound 0.5R + 0.5L.

2)
For mid-high freqs x = 0 produces side signals from raw L and R signals to be reflected from side walls to listening position.
But x = 0.5 side signals can be written (for the Left side) as 0.5L + (0.5L - 0.5R) which can be seen as half of raw sound and half of 'ambiance' signal (L-R).

So I think x = 0.5 with more defined direct sound and with enhanced side ambiance produces 'better' reproduction.

At the moment I don't know which psychoacoustic literature to quote, but my listening tests confirm this.

- Elias

Lets rewind. I found some old impulse response measurements from The Cardboard, here reanalysed with gammatone wavelets.

This is The Cardboard, which is equivalent with SSS x = 0, full side panned i.e. only one side element is active and other is mute. Here is the direct sound at the listening position at 2m in 25 m2 room recorded with omni mic:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

And this is the direct sound of The Cardboard with the pillow, otherwise same as above:

What kind of responses are these ?!? Is this hifi ?? ;)

The answer lies in the time-freq domain ! Here blinking the pillow effect:
Direct sound at 0 ms is attenuated by the pillow at high freqs, but otherwise the high freq energy remains untouched. Actually it seems that by removing the tilted direct sound the total response is more balanced as first reflections at 5 ms behave much better than the direct sound.

- Elias

For comparison, here is SSS x = 0.5.

Direct sound measured with omni mic at 1 m distance (note! different distance than above) for full side panned signal (L = 1, R = 0):

And the corresponding time-freq domain data:

- Elias

Newest incarnation of the Stereosphere:

Left channel goes to the left firing driver, right channel to the right driver and L+R is routed to the front driver.
The 25° side firing full range drivers were EQed for flat frequeny response on driver axis. The front firing driver is high passed at 1.6kHz so the listening axis frequency response is flat.

The speaker does what it is designed for, create strong side reflections:

The image is very centered with most sounds localized at the speaker. Only certain sounds become spacious. Is the side reflection not strong enough? Does there need to be more than just a single reflection to get a more spacious sound?