Stereophonic Sound from a Single Loudspeaker - Page 29 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th February 2012, 01:35 PM   #281
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus76 View Post
I'm one of the folks that owns a Realiser and did the AIX/Mi Casa trip.
Unfortunately you can't edit the PRIRs yourself in order to eliminate crosstalk.
This was going to be one of my questions to Smyth - whether their filter format was documented.

Does the Realiser deliver as advertised in your opinion?

Quote:
Ambiophonics sacrifices the L and R HRTF for getting the C HRTF right. So capturing a center HRTF for a headphone based playback system is just the first step. What you could and should do is capture the HRTFs for the locations of L, C and R. Then derive a L, C and R channel (with phantom images between L/C and R/C only), feed through the appropriate HRTFs and sum to a L and R headphone signal.
Yes, absolutely on my list of extensions once the basic idea is validated. I already have an implementation of the Gerzon/Trifield approach done, and it would be the basis for the next step. I think it will be interesting to see how the inclusion/exclusion of xtalk in the side channels impacts the overall presentation - I'm not sure 'phantom' imaging between C/R for example will work correctly if all xtalk has been removed from the R response - I think it will have to be included but I guess that's part of the experiment.
Additional channels for height and/or ambiance could also follow as appropriate, although I'm not entirely sure how to derive height cues.
Old 8th February 2012, 05:39 PM   #282
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwk123 View Post
Does the Realiser deliver as advertised in your opinion?
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwk123 View Post
I already have an implementation of the Gerzon/Trifield approach done
What's your impression of trifield? Does it add any spaciousness, making single images wider and taller or is it "just" a more defined and solid stage or something else?
Old 9th February 2012, 10:39 PM   #283
Elias is offline Elias  Finland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus76 View Post
The solution is more speakers.

Less is more

- Elias
Old 9th February 2012, 10:44 PM   #284
Elias is offline Elias  Finland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLS View Post
How about SSS + Watson ?
Not a bad idea

On the other hand, the traditional stereo triangle has been lacking proper ITD cues in a small room acoustic space until today, so old fashioned stereo triangle is really not better than SSS

- Elias
Old 10th February 2012, 04:08 AM   #285
CLS is offline CLS  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elias View Post
Not a bad idea
Hehe... done in days ago:

Unconventional Techniques for Achieving Oustanding Stereo Imaging

That's easily missed. (and only ScottG gave me a smile )

Of course there're some major differences between Watson and my setup. But the principle of enhancement in ITD is in common, I believe.

It may not be theoretically (or pollitically) correct, but compared with my previous 3-panel (3-channel) in optimal linear matrix and the following SSS (in single panel), this setup is indeed better in many ways, especially in imaging of course.

(The 2nd best is, except for the cheap pine boards for the baffles, I didn't buy anything new, all spares. )
Old 10th February 2012, 04:10 AM   #286
ScottG is offline ScottG  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hehe... done in days ago:

Unconventional Techniques for Achieving Oustanding Stereo Imaging

That's easily missed. (and only ScottG gave me a smile )
Old 10th February 2012, 04:34 AM   #287
diyAudio Member

I should note that derivations on the "Watson" theme have been done many times before.. usually with limited commercial success. Dynavector superstereo is the one that immediately comes to mind.

The basic idea relates to a wider angle loudspeaker placement with respect to lower freq.s. vs. what occurs naturally with head-shading and higher freq.s.. i.e. *lower* correlation at freq.s below 1 kHz.

A better method would be just dispensing with those freq.s below head shading from their normal "frontal" placement (i.e. the Orion midrange and bass section in a Watson added configuration), and instead using only the effects channels as shown in Watson. Upper freq.s should be from a loudspeaker placement that are closer together (approaching 0 degree for the listener - i.e. straight in front) or synthetic mono as seen in this thread. I think the real question is just how high in freq. they should go? Based on the amount of separation between the loudspeakers, the closer they are the higher in freq. they can go without the need for blocking the spl-gradient toward the listener.

Last edited by ScottG; 10th February 2012 at 04:41 AM.
Old 10th February 2012, 04:45 AM   #288
CLS is offline CLS  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

That brings us (back) to the OSD.
Old 10th February 2012, 04:49 AM   #289
diyAudio Member

Quote:
That brings us (back) to the OSD.
Yup..
Old 10th February 2012, 06:45 AM   #290
graaf is offline graaf  Poland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexQS View Post
I cant help but be reminded of a friend in college that took a pair of Infinity small bookshelfs and put them back to back behind his TV, it actually sounded very good and created a very wide sound-stage.
clever guy, this is my basic TV sound setup too

when TV is off I use it for background music in my living room too, and then, funny, people keep asking and asking where are the speakers?

Last edited by graaf; 10th February 2012 at 06:58 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!