Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th September 2003, 02:53 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Vifa xt25 question

So I got a pair of "matched" Vifa xt25's. They both seem to work fine. However, while one of them looks virtually "perfect" (i.e., like a drawing or a computer model) the other one has some extra glue one the membrane around the phase plug, extending a little on the plug. If it's of any help in visualizing this, when I first saw the extra glue I *almost* believed that there's ferrofluid leaking out of the tweeter.
As I said, they seem to work fine, but I was wondering if the glue isn't gonna affect the respective tweeter's behavior in some way. Should I worry about it? I think I could replace them if I wanted, but I'd like to know if it's worth it.
Any ideas/comments?
Old 9th September 2003, 06:18 AM   #2
navin is offline navin  India
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to navin Send a message via Yahoo to navin
ferrofluid leaking out? i dont thnk so. must be a manufacting anomaly. not a defect as i dont think it affects the sound. however these ar not cheap units so feel free to change them. it is your money.
Old 9th September 2003, 11:33 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the input, Navin - obviously there can be no ferrofluid leaking, since they have none. It just kinda looks like that, I've had a pair of diferent drivers that did leak and that's how it looked.
I can change them, but I'd have to go through the hassle of shipping them back (at my expense) and waiting for a new pair, and I'm not sure if it's worth it.
Plus I dont have any guarantee that the new pair will be perfect. Are these small anomalies common?
Old 9th September 2003, 12:26 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Nappylady Send a message via AIM to Nappylady Send a message via MSN to Nappylady Send a message via Yahoo to Nappylady
Hmm.

Have you listened to them? You should compare and see if they sound the same. If they do, decide if it's that big of a deal that one looks like it's got ferrofluid on it. If they're "matched", I have a hard time seeing how one would get past the testing process unless it was totally automated.
Old 9th September 2003, 03:16 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

well i dont make speakers but from what i got i have not seen a phenomenon like what you describe. then again i have not got my hands on the XT either. :-( if you ever wish to discard them.....

Old 9th September 2003, 10:04 PM   #6
Vikash is offline Vikash  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
the other one has some extra glue one the membrane around the phase plug...Are these small anomalies common?
I've seen careless application of glue on some, albeit larger, drivers - around the surround/cone and spider/former joints. It sounds like an aesthetic impurity more than anything else, so I wouldn't worry about it not looking as 'computer rendered' as the other.

Nappylady makes a good point. You would assume that being matched, someone down the line has tested and approved them for function and I don't think a little extra clear glue would stop it passing QC.
Old 10th September 2003, 04:49 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Often driver matching is often done in batches. they match all the drivers in one batch and then box them as "matched pairs". Some companies like Morel however did take more trouble. however like i said before if you cant hear anything wrong why bother.
Old 10th September 2003, 07:05 AM   #8
usekgb is offline usekgb  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by navin
well i dont make speakers but from what i got i have not seen a phenomenon like what you describe. then again i have not got my hands on the XT either. :-( if you ever wish to discard them.....

I just got my hands on a pair of these drivers yesterday. I can't wait to get my TL's done so they can have a nice home.

Cheers,
Zach
Old 10th September 2003, 09:00 AM   #9
Vikash is offline Vikash  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Often driver matching is often done in batches
One thing you can do is check for sequenced serial numbers. If they are, you might deduce that they're not really matched. I know of a co. that makes a point in selling drivers like this (and could easily have marketed them as being 'matched pairs')

Hide this!Advertise here!