Vifa xt25 question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So I got a pair of "matched" Vifa xt25's. They both seem to work fine. However, while one of them looks virtually "perfect" (i.e., like a drawing or a computer model) the other one has some extra glue one the membrane around the phase plug, extending a little on the plug. If it's of any help in visualizing this, when I first saw the extra glue I *almost* believed that there's ferrofluid leaking out of the tweeter.
As I said, they seem to work fine, but I was wondering if the glue isn't gonna affect the respective tweeter's behavior in some way. Should I worry about it? I think I could replace them if I wanted, but I'd like to know if it's worth it.
Any ideas/comments?

Thanks for the input, Navin - obviously there can be no ferrofluid leaking, since they have none. It just kinda looks like that, I've had a pair of diferent drivers that did leak and that's how it looked.
I can change them, but I'd have to go through the hassle of shipping them back (at my expense) and waiting for a new pair, and I'm not sure if it's worth it.
Plus I dont have any guarantee that the new pair will be perfect. Are these small anomalies common?

the other one has some extra glue one the membrane around the phase plug...Are these small anomalies common?
I've seen careless application of glue on some, albeit larger, drivers - around the surround/cone and spider/former joints. It sounds like an aesthetic impurity more than anything else, so I wouldn't worry about it not looking as 'computer rendered' as the other.

Nappylady makes a good point. You would assume that being matched, someone down the line has tested and approved them for function and I don't think a little extra clear glue would stop it passing QC.

navin said:
well i dont make speakers but from what i got i have not seen a phenomenon like what you describe. then again i have not got my hands on the XT either. :-( if you ever wish to discard them.....

;)

I just got my hands on a pair of these drivers yesterday. I can't wait to get my TL's done so they can have a nice home.

Cheers,
Zach

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.