Question about "old" technology: the wiiide baffle of the Boston Acoustics "A" series - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th November 2011, 02:29 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
When i worked retail hifi we sold a ton of these BA. I remember a very memorable Sunday afternoon where we did a number of basic mods to a set of A200s and transformed them.
I bet the pair I had were originally sold by you. They had the light oak trim with beige grills, quite attractive actually. They had the usual mods, duct-seal on the woofer baskets and modge podge treated cones. I was going to have at the crossover, but the way it's designed doesn't lend to mods that easily.

One day a neighbor was having a garage sale. I spotted a pair of Sansui SP-2700A's in the garage, and ended up bringing them home. Hooked them up and heard music that never came out of the A200's, so that sealed there fate. I sold the A200's shortly there after.

jeff
Old 5th November 2011, 06:44 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
Not so. Monkey coffin refers to any rectangular prism shaped box that resembles the kind of shape you would use as a coffin. The monkey part indicative of the size.

A good exmple

Click the image to open in full size.

dave
That's... mine.
Old 5th November 2011, 06:50 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454Casull View Post
Yes.

With a large baffle, BSC is required only for a smaller portion of the bass spectrum, if at all, and therefore the power response attained from true half-space radiation is uniform for a wider range of the audible frequency spectrum. Power requirements will go down.
Thanks!

Quote:
The drawbacks are:

1) ugly (usually)
Ah they're not that bad. I've seen quite a few thin towers that had lousy W/H/D ratios, some almost like square tubes that looked, well, never mind and stuck out in a room like a sore thumb (though if you have a dedicated room for audio, then no harm done). If no one minds me going off on a tangent for a sec......

I'm not a pro industrial designer or feng shui expert, but IIRC there's something called the golden rectangle(?) that many speakers in the past used and so were at least pleasant to look at. As far as thin speakers, as long as they have enough depth, like Definitive Technology's BP series, then I like them.

Quote:
Wide-baffle speakers (some people call them monkey coffins).
I think you're speaking of models like the Large Advent, because these Bostons are very shallow vs. their width, resulting in a sort of living room/wood-veneered version of Mr. Clark's monolith and how could that classic shape be unattractive?
Old 5th November 2011, 06:50 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris661 View Post
Here's something I posted in another thread that seems to be of relevance here too.

Hope this helps.
Yes it did, thanks.

Quote:
Yes, but see Troel's take on a Sonus Faber:
I'd forgotten about that Sonus model, but since it is just a wee bit out of my price range, I probably had a mental block on it! I did use it as an example a few years ago to show someone elsewhere that large woofers were still in use by some brands (another one of those threads discussing the "speed" of various woofer diameters).

Last edited by River757; 5th November 2011 at 06:54 AM.
Old 5th November 2011, 07:06 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Gatti View Post
- Imaging is not as precise as a narrow baffle, but some would say that pinpoint imaging is not very realistic anyway.

The best overall summation I've heard is that narrow baffles bring the performers into your room, wide baffles take you to the recording venue.
Not to start an off-topic discussion but I know what you mean about precise stereo imaging: I generally prefer it, but depending on the type of music, for me it can sometimes be a little distracting. It's similar to when you make a pot of chili but haven't allowed it to simmer long enough i.e. all those various ingredients need to blend a bit for best flavor before you call everyone to the table. And at a live peformance most people sit far enough back that they cannot make out individual instruments all that well anyway.
Old 5th November 2011, 07:10 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by River757 View Post
Thanks!
Note that the uniformity of power response and the reduction of power required are not the same thing - they're just different results of the same effect.

Also, you speak of the golden ratio.
Old 5th November 2011, 07:11 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinylkid58 View Post
One day a neighbor was having a garage sale. I spotted a pair of Sansui SP-2700A's in the garage, and ended up bringing them home. Hooked them up and heard music that never came out of the A200's, so that sealed there fate. I sold the A200's shortly there after.

jeff
Going by reputation and my own experience with a pair of vintage Pioneer CS-99A five-way speakers with multicell horn tweeters, those Sansuis were probably the polar opposite of the Bostons: the output of the A200s being much more "warm" vs. the (probably) very lively character of the Sansuis. I actually like many Klipsch models for example...but not for more than an album's worth of music.
Old 5th November 2011, 07:14 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454Casull View Post
Note that the uniformity of power response and the reduction of power required are not the same thing - they're just different results of the same effect.
Gotcha.
Quote:
Also, you speak of the golden ratio.
Well I was close anyway! (I was too lazy to google it ).
Old 5th November 2011, 07:21 AM   #19
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
the golden ratio.
An example of a CGR.

Click the image to open in full size.

dave
Old 5th November 2011, 06:46 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by River757 View Post
Going by reputation and my own experience with a pair of vintage Pioneer CS-99A five-way speakers with multicell horn tweeters, those Sansuis were probably the polar opposite of the Bostons: the output of the A200s being much more "warm" vs. the (probably) very lively character of the Sansuis.
Actually, they were much closer to the Bostons in tonal balance than one would expect. When I hooked them up, I heard multitracked male vocals that I'd never heard with the A200's. Unfortunately, there was no low bass at all, which I thought was a bit strange, given the 12" woofers.

I'd be tempted to try the A400's bi-amped. Tubes for the mid/tweets, and SS for the woofers.

jeff

Hide this!Advertise here!