Should I go for DTQWT? or...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm in the mood for a new woodworking project and troel's dtqwt came to light. this beauty almost fits my bill- high sensitivity for 300b, small footprint, promise of a life sized bass... but the tweeter still makes me hesitant for it. seems that the tw034 wouldn't be the last word on detail. and having become used to fountek ribbon tweeters over the years, i'm not sure if i won't find the highs to sound 'closed in'.

obviously compromises are must, but do you think dtqwt will have less 'airy' highs and consequently shallower soundstage compared to say, jim holtz's statements (wmtmw) in favor of bigger bass and more musical sound?

i should mention the other items of my bill includes 3d imaging and fine detail, which i'd like to think i still have some hearings left for.

so should i give it a shot at mr.troel's respectable design or are there any other contenders that i'm overlooking? thanks for your replies. :cheers:

I don't think you'll find the highs sounding "closed-in" - that's mostly related to broad horizontal dispersion, and this design is still a wide-dispersion design (despite the modest waveguide).

As for detail - at freq.s above 4 kHz, no - it won't be as "fast" and detailed as a ribbon. On the other hand that tweeter is known for rather excellent sound below 4 kHz (which is more responsible for the perception of depth). So IMO you'd give up something, but likely also get something as well.

3D imaging and detail in general should be very good to excellent, it is after-all his most preferred design among many designs that even include ribbons and dipoles.

Note: If it were me doing this design, I'd only do it with the tweeter modification (..just google search for the tweeter and a modification page should come up from Troel's site). Troel's says it isn't necessary, but frankly if you are going to do it - you might as well do it right.

As far as comparable designs.. there really aren't any, it's somewhat unique.

thanks, scott. that certainly answers my questions. i'm still hung up about the tweeter, however... i'm going to have to walk into a horn dealer soon enough with a test cd trying to get a feel for the sound, to see if i'm really the one to prefer coherency over extension...

thanks, scott. that certainly answers my questions. i'm still hung up about the tweeter, however... i'm going to have to walk into a horn dealer soon enough with a test cd trying to get a feel for the sound, to see if i'm really the one to prefer coherency over extension...

Unfortunately that will only tell you about that particular horn/waveguide tweeter/compression driver combo - and even then it will be limited by the rest of the design.

Of waveguide designs.. I'd say look for a YGA dealer, or a similar design. That might give you some idea of the dispersion character.

Your best bet might simply be purchasing the tweeters and waveguides and listening to them (exclusively) with a similar filter (..though likely an active one). That would at least limit your expense if it doesn't sound good, and you can always list them on ebay.. or perhaps even with Troels to someone else contemplating the design near you and looking for some discount on the parts.

I'm not sure how much this will help, but here is a thread on the topic and a subjective assessment here that addresses some of your concerns:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/148080-troels-dtqwt-12.html

Last edited:
Last edited:
i did consider them indeed. i really want a floorstander atm. and strata's baffle is too wide for my room/visual taste.

DTQWT has the most appeal to me but I don't like the fact that eminence woofer's price skyrocketed from $40 to $200 within the last couple years, almost doubling the price of the whole project.

Is there any other multiway design around $1000 margin that's SET amp friendly and sports BIG woofers? :D

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.