Linkwitz Pluto-alternated driver choice - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th October 2011, 12:59 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Linkwitz Pluto-alternated driver choice

hi all,
anybody tried Linkwitz Pluto speaker. it looks quite simple to build. no much carpentry work. but the drivers used in original Pluto are very expensive (for me atleast). so i am searching for a possible alternate drivers which can be used in Pluto. however if it makes using Aura tweeter a must (as i read that Aura tweeter actually inspired to design Pluto), then i will go for this one, but if possible i would like find an alternate driver for woofer. please help me regarding this.

regards,
pranam
Old 30th October 2011, 01:21 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

if you really want to experiment before building pluto proper have a look at Gainphiles website and 6.283's website:
Platon

Gainphile:
Gainphile: Linkwitz Pluto ... sewer pipe omni-directional loudspeakers

Personally I would strongly recommend building Pluto to the correct specification with the proper bass mid driver (which is excellent VFM) the proper manual, PCB's and full design spec with the recommended 1% tolerance components.

Mr Linkwitz is still working on some new PCB boards for the analogue equalized crossover and amp's Pluto uses. This will use new (currently available) components.
Components for Pluto have to be extremely tight tolerance or you need to extensively test wider tolerance components, this means high quality and relatively expensive testing equipement.

Some people have attempted to model Pluto with dsp systems with some limited success.

Save up, it is worth it.

Have fun with it.
Old 30th October 2011, 05:36 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob g View Post
if you really want to experiment before building pluto proper have a look at Gainphiles website and 6.283's website:
Platon

Gainphile:
Gainphile: Linkwitz Pluto ... sewer pipe omni-directional loudspeakers

Personally I would strongly recommend building Pluto to the correct specification with the proper bass mid driver (which is excellent VFM) the proper manual, PCB's and full design spec with the recommended 1% tolerance components.

Mr Linkwitz is still working on some new PCB boards for the analogue equalized crossover and amp's Pluto uses. This will use new (currently available) components.
Components for Pluto have to be extremely tight tolerance or you need to extensively test wider tolerance components, this means high quality and relatively expensive testing equipement.

Some people have attempted to model Pluto with dsp systems with some limited success.

Save up, it is worth it.

Have fun with it.
do you suggest purchasing the construction plan and PCB from Linkwitz?
Old 30th October 2011, 06:01 PM   #4
BrianL is offline BrianL  United States
diyAudio Member

If you are a "sound novice", it would be good to purchase plans. The PCB is definitely recommended even if you attempt to devise your construction plans from information on the web site.
Old 30th October 2011, 07:46 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Go with the genuine SL Pluto...he does an incredible job of refining the performance based on the drivers he chooses. You are highly unlikely to get anywhere close to Pluto's potential if you start fiddling with alternate drivers to save money. Once you consider the time and expense that will go into the build you will realize the false economy of trying to save on the drivers.
Old 30th October 2011, 09:17 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Pranam,

Kevin is bang on.
Pluto is a highly refined speaker. It would most definately be a false economy trying to save a little money on the drive units. Once you do this you really have to revoice the speaker, this is definately not trivial even with a passive crossover, an active analogue crossover will be far more involved. Quite a nightmare really, perhaps even for a seasoned pro.

You simply could not receive enough help from the users here to achieve comparable quality, it does not work that way.

The current drive unit wasn't just chosen off the shelf option (as in the first version of Pluto) it was actually designed specifically for Pluto.
SEAS Prestige L16RN-SL (H1480) 5" Aluminum Cone Woofer: Madisound Speaker Store

If you are a speaker novice the proper plans, drive units and PCB's are essential, if you are a seasoned DIY expert (with some understanding of what is involved) then you will know for yourself that having these things is a really good idea.
Old 31st October 2011, 03:24 AM   #7
BrianL is offline BrianL  United States
diyAudio Member

I totally agree with Rob and Kevin. I build Plutos (and will probably build Orions) because having heard both, I found them so superior to what I could/might do that it was laughable to consider trying to create my own wheel. I've only heard a couple (extremely expensive) commercial systems that challenge them.

Another thought on purchasing plans: Consider the plans as compensation to Siegfried for the use of his design. It's really a tiny amount in the project budget with the added benefit of saving you significant effort.
Old 31st October 2011, 06:02 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

You know, I looked to find an equivalent driver for less, but I couldn't find one. I thought it would be easy. This was several months ago, but I doubt you'd have much better luck now.

I think it would be hard to duplicate the performance SL has come up with. If you find a way, please let me know.

Dan
Old 31st October 2011, 06:10 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

i am sure with alternate drivers i will be compromising on the sound quality compared to what SL has achieved but i will be happy with 'acceptable' performance. i would still like to continue my hunt for alternate drivers. may be i will have to change bit of active xover design or change the xover points. this would be more of an experimentation/learning project for me.
if i want to search for an equivalent woofer/tweeter then what specifications i should be looking for?
Old 31st October 2011, 07:16 AM   #10
6.283 is offline 6.283  Germany
diyAudio Member

Pranam,
I think what needs to be said has been said. Pluto looks easy for a beginner. In fact it is full of smart details that a speaker novice will likely not understand or not even recognize. So every slight deviation from the original could compromise the outcome if you are not sure what you are doing.
Please also understand that everybody, who is helping you with this, would be border-lining SL's Terms and Conditions.

Hide this!Advertise here!