Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th November 2011, 02:27 AM   #41
diyAudio Member

Just in case there was any further interest . I am still trying to find out the largest boxes that WAF will allow
Old 12th November 2011, 06:05 AM   #42
seanny is offline seanny  United States
diyAudio Member

Make your wife a bubble bath. Make sure that there is enough water that it would overflow when she gets in. Measure to see how many cubic feet after she gets out. Then build a speaker with that cf. If she complains, tell her "it's your size". Tell us what happens next.
Old 12th November 2011, 08:04 PM   #43
diyAudio Member

Something tells me he wouldn't get the chance to report his findings.

Dan
Old 12th November 2011, 08:38 PM   #44
DrDyna is offline DrDyna  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanny View Post
Make your wife a bubble bath. Make sure that there is enough water that it would overflow when she gets in. Measure to see how many cubic feet after she gets out. Then build a speaker with that cf. If she complains, tell her "it's your size". Tell us what happens next.

LOL!
Old 14th November 2011, 12:55 AM   #45
diyAudio Member

I used Audacity to figure out what kind of system you need to do justice to rock and roll, drum and bass and dubstep.

Details are here:

Audio Psychosis &bull; View topic - Suffocating Bass
Old 14th November 2011, 09:44 AM   #46
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
I used Audacity to figure out what kind of system you need to do justice to rock and roll, drum and bass and dubstep.

Details are here:

Audio Psychosis &bull; View topic - Suffocating Bass
(Do) You mean a sub crossed at 25Hz?! That is almost a sub alignment tunned up to is resonant frequency.
Old 19th July 2012, 02:24 AM   #47
diyAudio Member

Opening thread again as I am almost up to building.
I found an old Coral/Foster 8inch Bass-mid among my box of spares a while ago, this woofer came in a 3-way box that used 2 tweeters, a 4 inch and a 2 inch, both sealed back cones with simple cap-in-line high pass.
I am going to use this crossed as low as the budget will allow to the Jaycars El Cheapo polycone 10s.
My Crossover program has developed a big glitch so I need to remove and download it again but at this stage I plan on 2 woofers, one crossed very low and the other right on the baffle step frequency ( or as close as "Standard value" components will allow ) I even have an idea for a cabinet design that will allow a rear firing woofer mounted right against a wall.
On my shelf I also have a large number of 3inch full range open back drivers that I salvaged from cheap HT in a box speakers this will substitute for the 4inch tweeter and if I need a super-tweeter I'll use the cheap Foster ribbon with a 2uF in front.
Progress will be slow as I need to fit the speaker building around the renovations. I borrowed some my mates favourite CDs and there really is a lot of deep bass so the box needs 2 woofers.
Old 19th July 2012, 09:00 AM   #48
diyAudio Member

The little 3 inch woofers cannot keep up with the big mid, lucky for me I have plenty, so I will use 2 on each side.
Been playing with the Foster ribbon, it actually isn't bad with a simple cap in line ( 2 uF ) and a small resistance. SWMBO has much better ears than I do and she agrees that these add "air" and sound OK when used as a super-tweeter.
So TTS or TST??
Old 19th July 2012, 11:18 AM   #49
diyAudio Member

I have searched, is there any consensus on mounting the Foster ribbon horizontally?

Hide this!Advertise here!