Brushing lacquer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm at the stage of brushing lacquer on my speakers and it is taking a while (i can't afford spray equipment:mad:)

I'm finding it very hard to get a smooth coat, especially where the brush strokes meet. It is very difficult to get a even coat where the strokes meet.

Is this saying the lacquer is too thick and should be thinned out?

Also, can i brush lacquer on a vertical surface or should the surface be horizontial? What if the lacquer is thinned out, vertical or horizontial?

Thanks

To thin or Not to Thin That is the question????

Thin it out and brush well. Dip your brush into the finish only about an inch and don't "clean it up" over the edge of your container. Hold it perpendicular to the container and let it drip a bit and then go to work. You will end up with less bubbles in your finnish. Build up a couple of coats and let it dry over a day. Sand it with a block or with a random orbital sander and put on another coat. Have fun ;)

Mark

What lacquer are you using? Deft brushing lacquer seems to work pretty well.

Make sure the surface is level (don't try to brush vertically if you can help it).

If you are having problems with brush marks, you are probably not using a brushing lacquer. You could certainly try thinning the lacquer with lacquer thinner, or use lacquer retarder to give the lacquer even more time to self-level.

Overall, be prepared for some defects. You'll just have to sand the final product level, and then progress on a schedule of finer and finer sandpaper, then polishing compounds, etc.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.