Lumine One 2-Way Speaker Kit - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th October 2011, 08:43 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Lumine One 2-Way Speaker Kit

Ive been spending a lot of time on this forum reading about different speaker kits and getting reviews from the respected opinions on this forum. During the search I found this kit which I cant find any information on. Since I have no where really to hear the different types of designs I have to rely on this forums opinion and build/try it my own.

Lumine One 2-Way Speaker Kit: Madisound Speaker Store

Eventually I would like two bi-amped towers with a 7.1 system. (I have a pioneer sc-57 that can do 9.1 or 7.1 bi-amped). My primary goal is to listen to music (60% classical, 40% everything else) but also have the ability to listen to watch a movie.

Would this be a good kit to buy to start out for now and later on move to the rears?
Is there a different kit that you would recommend? I dont worry about wood working skills at all, my only concern is choosing the right drivers and the crossover design. I was looking at the orion but I do not have that much space for an OB.

Thanks in advance for the advice.
Old 28th October 2011, 08:52 PM   #2
DrDyna is offline DrDyna  United States
diyAudio Member

I've actually been considering those drivers myself for my next build. They're a tad pricey at the moment, but from what I understand, they're probably some of the finest drivers you can get.
Old 28th October 2011, 08:59 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

If you want something that sounds like Orion but do not have the space......

From Linkwitz labs
Siegried Linkwitz said:
"When I compared PLUTO+ to ORION I was stunned by the sonic similarity between these very different speakers, when properly set up in my living room, even though one is a monopole over the 8 lower octaves and the other is a dipole over 7 of those octaves, out of a total of 10 octaves for the 20 Hz to 20 kHz frequency range. I felt almost embarrassed that so much less costly drivers could give such outstanding performance, when I had labored over testing and searching for the absolute best. There even was something about human voice that made me question the correctness of the ORION in comparison to PLUTO+. Attempts to change the equalization of ORION to make pink noise and voice sound more similar on the two speakers were complete failures. The only parameter that was left to investigate was the polar response. I had already concluded that it must have been the polar response that made PLUTO+ so similar to ORION in the first place. ORION is a dipole only to about 1.5 kHz. That is over an octave less in uniformity of polar response than PLUTO+ covers, and missing an important frequency range for voice. A rear mounted tweeter on ORION to extend the dipole range might fix that. Well, it did that and much more."

I can understand if you have been discouraged (WAF) from having something that looks like drainpipes but they sound superb. Quality drivers certainly help but I doubt Lumine one is even on the same page in terms of quality. I imagine they are very good though.
Old 28th October 2011, 09:05 PM   #4
NEO Dan is offline NEO Dan  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob g View Post
If you want something that sounds like Orion but do not have the space......

From Linkwitz labs
Siegried Linkwitz said:
"When I compared PLUTO+ to ORION I was stunned by the sonic similarity between these very different speakers, when properly set up in my living room, even though one is a monopole over the 8 lower octaves and the other is a dipole over 7 of those octaves, out of a total of 10 octaves for the 20 Hz to 20 kHz frequency range. I felt almost embarrassed that so much less costly drivers could give such outstanding performance, when I had labored over testing and searching for the absolute best. There even was something about human voice that made me question the correctness of the ORION in comparison to PLUTO+. Attempts to change the equalization of ORION to make pink noise and voice sound more similar on the two speakers were complete failures. The only parameter that was left to investigate was the polar response. I had already concluded that it must have been the polar response that made PLUTO+ so similar to ORION in the first place. ORION is a dipole only to about 1.5 kHz. That is over an octave less in uniformity of polar response than PLUTO+ covers, and missing an important frequency range for voice. A rear mounted tweeter on ORION to extend the dipole range might fix that. Well, it did that and much more."

I can understand if you have been discouraged (WAF) from having something that looks like drainpipes but they sound superb. Quality drivers certainly help but I doubt Lumine one is even on the same page in terms of quality. I imagine they are very good though.
I'm not so sure this is such a high bar didn't the Behringer monitors recently best one of these speakers?
Old 28th October 2011, 09:08 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Its really the WAF that is killing the pluto idea. Is there anything that can be done about the enclosure?
Old 28th October 2011, 09:08 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

It was the Orions anyway:

Linkwitz Orions beaten by Behringer.... what!!?
Old 28th October 2011, 09:10 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEO Dan View Post
I'm not so sure this is such a high bar didn't the Behringer monitors recently best one of these speakers?
Of course, they are only fit for use as basic PC speakers.
Old 28th October 2011, 09:13 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2MuchRiceMakesMeSick View Post
Its really the WAF that is killing the pluto idea. Is there anything that can be done about the enclosure?
If you have seen all the photo's on the linkwitzlabs photo page and seen
This website:
The Pluto Speakers | Turnkey, High Quality Speakers, Cabinets & Kits

Still nothing appeal?
Old 28th October 2011, 09:30 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

If I lived in the states and wanted a smaller speaker with that dipole/point source omni pluto open style presentation another option I would take a look at for Classical music reproduction would be these:
Untitled Document

I understand their quality control is not A1 though!
Old 28th October 2011, 09:31 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Since the thread is already off track I'll offer my 2 cents.
While you can undoubtedly build something that will look exponentially better you can buy complete speakers for ~$120 USD each that best the average kit speaker for rather cheap these days.

Modifying a B2031P

Last edited by NEO Dan; 28th October 2011 at 09:35 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!