Cable for loudspeaker internal wiring... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th October 2011, 03:25 PM   #1
ermes is offline ermes  Greenland
Account disabled at member's request

Default Cable for loudspeaker internal wiring...

Hi all,
please suggest me a cable for internal wiring of my diy loudspeakers.
....let me know your experience and comparison about different brands of cable, for example a comparison between....cardas, monster cable, audioquest.....
would be fine a timbre comparison.

t.i.a.
Old 27th October 2011, 03:36 PM   #2
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Monster cable has received a lot of bad press recently.

16 or 18 ga. lamp cord (zip) is all you need. If you think you can tell the difference with such short runs, either you have golden ears or there is something wrong with the wire and it's not suited for the purpose. Regular, everyday stranded copper wire is fine.

What is the reason you should choose an expensive wire? You have the answer in your sig line.
Old 27th October 2011, 03:43 PM   #3
DrDyna is offline DrDyna  United States
diyAudio Member

So long as you choose a decent oxygen free cable that won't oxidize over time and is a heavy enough gauge to support the current requirements of the drivers, you should be good.

Lately, I've ran short of "speaker wire" so I've been cutting up some of my old IEC power cords and they work brilliantly.
Old 27th October 2011, 11:08 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

You will not get any better than using Cardas chassis wire. I have tried many many cables and out of ready to solder ones I consider this quite the best. Use thinnest guage for tweeters (23,5), thicker for mid and/or bass. This it true litz wire so soldering is not easy Parts Connection and Percy have it and it is quite cheap actually for what it is. Really top quality, many manufacturers would meake their product much better with just using these instead the crap they use inside their speakers, and just for a couple of bucks more. Really try them, do not use any cheapo speaker cables inside or any DIY disaster like CAT5 or other extremely crappy cables. Go for good ones.

Last edited by zygibajt; 27th October 2011 at 11:10 PM.
Old 27th October 2011, 11:50 PM   #5
ODougbo is offline ODougbo  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDyna View Post
So long as you choose a decent oxygen free cable that won't oxidize over time and is a heavy enough gauge to support the current requirements of the drivers, you should be good.

Lately, I've ran short of "speaker wire" so I've been cutting up some of my old IEC power cords and they work brilliantly.
Old computer cords - that's what I would do.
Old 30th October 2011, 02:34 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

I've been using magnet wire. I bought a large inductor and pull wire from that. 16 ga. Cheap, works great.
Old 30th October 2011, 02:45 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by zygibajt View Post
You will not get any better than using Cardas chassis wire. I have tried many many cables and out of ready to solder ones I consider this quite the best. Use thinnest guage for tweeters (23,5), thicker for mid and/or bass. This it true litz wire so soldering is not easy Parts Connection and Percy have it and it is quite cheap actually for what it is. Really top quality, many manufacturers would meake their product much better with just using these instead the crap they use inside their speakers, and just for a couple of bucks more. Really try them, do not use any cheapo speaker cables inside or any DIY disaster like CAT5 or other extremely crappy cables. Go for good ones.
This is just nonsense
Old 30th October 2011, 03:58 AM   #8
18Hurts is offline 18Hurts  United States
diyAudio Member

All depends one how much power you will be pushing into the speakers

Normally, I just use 16 AWG--either "speaker wire" if I have a spool laying around or as others have mentioned--computer power cords work well.

Forget about the wire, make sure to solder the connections in with a decent flux to prep the connectors. I've seen speakers wired with Uber cable complete with fairy dust and anti-asteroid coating...with push on crimp connectors!

Don't forget the heat sinks on the connectors when soldering so enjoy recycling all those power cords.
Old 30th October 2011, 04:32 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

I recycle old 2.5mm<2 power leads, I figure if it can handle 15Amperes at 250 Volts it should handle the 200 or so watts I'll put through it, I use it for external cabling from amp to speaker as well
Old 30th October 2011, 05:09 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by auplater View Post
This is just nonsense
Thanks for citing the truth. You too Cal Weldon.

Hide this!Advertise here!