Recommendation of speaker elements (2-way, floor-stander) - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st November 2011, 04:33 PM   #11
onda is offline onda  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreten View Post
Hi,

Seems you can get values in the USA that are not "standard". Like 2R and
8R where the actual standard 5% tolerance values are 2.2R and 8.2R.

Using 5.6R will dull the treble very slightly, room furnishings make far more
difference, so its effectively next to no difference, very unsubstantial.

rgds, sreten.
As this is my first build, I doubt I will hear any difference.
Final question though, will the different voltage of the resistors make any difference, or is the value just an indicator of how much voltage the resistors can handle?
Old 1st November 2011, 04:52 PM   #12
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onda View Post
As this is my first build, I doubt I will hear any difference.
Final question though, will the different voltage of the resistors make any difference, or is the value just an indicator of how much voltage the resistors can handle?
Hi, edited last post to answer that, rgds, sreten.
Old 1st November 2011, 04:56 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

you may get close to 5.1 ohm simply by parallelling two 10 ohm.
Old 2nd November 2011, 12:03 AM   #14
Billyo is offline Billyo  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The LBS design would probably cost me even more. Thanks for the suggestion though.
I found to my surprise that to get a really great result, the costs that are bandied around of a few hundred dollars for a pair are waaay to low for your first build (well... mine anyway), because they dont take into account the equipment that you'll need to buy.

Don't forget things like a sawtable, circular saw, saw blade, vise, somewhere to attach the vise, binding posts, glue, primer, color coat, clear coat, sand paper, sander, drill, drill bits, router, router bits, multiple clamps, glue, screws, long rulers, set squares, circular jigs, putty (I grew to love epoxy putty!), etcetera...

Sure, you could go and get the pieces pre-cut, but then if you ruin a bit, then you'll have to go back... also, I think that you're cheating a bit on the whole DIY experience.

All of these will add up big time, but once you have them, second and subsequent builds will be cheap. My advice is not to scrimp on your drivers and components, because their cost is relatively small compared to big ticket expenses like the saw.

Last edited by Billyo; 2nd November 2011 at 12:08 AM.
Old 2nd November 2011, 10:16 AM   #15
onda is offline onda  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyo View Post
I found to my surprise that to get a really great result, the costs that are bandied around of a few hundred dollars for a pair are waaay to low for your first build (well... mine anyway), because they dont take into account the equipment that you'll need to buy.

Don't forget things like a sawtable, circular saw, saw blade, vise, somewhere to attach the vise, binding posts, glue, primer, color coat, clear coat, sand paper, sander, drill, drill bits, router, router bits, multiple clamps, glue, screws, long rulers, set squares, circular jigs, putty (I grew to love epoxy putty!), etcetera...

Sure, you could go and get the pieces pre-cut, but then if you ruin a bit, then you'll have to go back... also, I think that you're cheating a bit on the whole DIY experience.

All of these will add up big time, but once you have them, second and subsequent builds will be cheap. My advice is not to scrimp on your drivers and components, because their cost is relatively small compared to big ticket expenses like the saw.
Hi,
I agree with you completely. Fortunately for me, my father has a well-equipped garage, containing most of the tools I will be needing. As for the low budget of the elements, this build will be part of a school-project (its my last year at high-school), where price (excluding tools) is one of my primary concerns.

Either way, the drivers and crossover components are ordered! I have made a preliminary CAD-drawing, and I will probably go buy some MDF next weekend, so I can start building.

Thank you all for the help!
Old 2nd November 2011, 11:15 AM   #16
_henry_ is offline _henry_  Australia
diyAudio Member

hi onda,

please do share your cad drawings. the AMIGA looked very interesting.

heard many good things about the RS180.

cheers
henry
Old 2nd November 2011, 01:57 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hi!
I have found Troels Gravesen's design, using Vifa PL18WO-09-08 + XT25TG30-04 (Vifa PL18WO-), but it seems to have very little information on sound and so on. My question to you is, do you have any other recommendations on elements + crossover, with better value than the Troel's design? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
I have a Vifa PL18 in a bookshelf size. Quite a nice driver but difficult to cross in a 2-way.

For a floor-stander, check out my Dayton RS180 in a 40L mini tower.

Hide this!Advertise here!