Your way to choose drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What is your way to choose drivers for your multiway design?

What are most important details you watch?

----

sensitivity between each driver?

sensitivity overall?

frequency response, smoothness?

impedance trace peaks?

distortion measurements from somewhere?

usable bandwidth outside band?

price/value?

It should be well documented and well built.:D
Also no metal diaphragms is usually a good policy (to say what I don't look for).
When choosing drivers (let's say for a 2-Way, a 3-Way or a PA) is different from when comparing drivers and from when simulating loudspeakers (and crossover), you need a well documented driver and/or measuring equipment.
Usually the sensitivity is a good sign of the "quality" but,
You look for other things first when building let's say a 3-Way.
Here I would look first for the best Mid driver. Usually beginers will look for the woofers they like first. So where are you starting first, and what type of drivers are you looking for.

Loudspeaker Selection
http://www.parts-express.com/resources/build-a-speaker.cfm

Last edited:

Targeted bandpass width, volume and efficiency usually are of main importance in my design criteria.
As speaker design always is a matter of compromises I try to keep the highest level possible on a mix of all the caracteristics of the selected drivers.
I never favour one single caracteristic to the detriment of all the others.:)

----

sensitivity between each driver?

sensitivity overall?

frequency response, smoothness?

impedance trace peaks?

distortion measurements from somewhere?

usable bandwidth outside band?

price/value?

Good list. Besides those I look for how it's going to work in the crossover and suitability for the intended application.

Correct driver choice is most important and get it right and you're more than half way there. Get it wrong and can end in tears.

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
I'd also ask what your goals are. It is easy to overestimate how much the driver you choose will affect the sound you get, but the way you use it has a significant effect on how it sounds, and choosing a driver that suits your purpose is a part of this.

For example I prefer paper coned woofers with high efficiency and sometimes with low Xmax and high fs. This is in stark contrast to some here but the Xmax and fs is simply a design choice. I tend to prefer the sound of paper cones.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.