Are you (open) baffled yet? - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th September 2003, 03:47 PM   #31
diyAudio Member

As our samurai friend says, there is unlikely to be any kosher or halal or catholic way to get a passive 15db boost in an open baffle, unless you drop everything by minus 15db and go flat.

Why not just use active EQ?

Steve
Old 9th September 2003, 04:14 PM   #32
Romy is offline Romy  United States
Banned

*** As our samurai friend says, there is unlikely to be any kosher or halal or catholic way to get a passive 15db boost in an open baffle, unless you drop everything by minus 15db and go flat.

Unfortunately to “drop everything by minus 15db” is imposable. First if I kill the 15db. I will not have a power to drive the drivers. Second to kill it possible only with a passive correction circuitry. To use with this driver anything between the secondary and the coil is similar to smelling roses in a gas masks.

*** Why not just use active EQ?

Do you mean not active but line level passive? I thought about it and I do have the second amp to drive it but I would not like to go there. Those drivers are made with ultra-soft and VERY unique paper (with a VERY different tensions radiation within the diaphragm). Presumingly when they designed the coil they assume that it will not see more then necessary LF applied to it. They did assume that 150-500hZ will be boosted acoustically and I wouldn’t like to make those drivers to do what they did not meant to do. How many other years should I spend to fine another pair of the mint Tele’38 drivers?

A freaking quandary….

Probably there is no other ways besides to stick this damn driver back into the place where it should sit.

Rgs,
The Cat
Old 13th September 2003, 11:38 AM   #33
Previously: Kuei Yang Wang

Default Another Baffled Speaker

Konnichiwa,

After major hassle with both Metalworkers (they claimed a maximum of 10 Days but too over a month to cut two simple metal pieces) and Interlink/Parcelline (they where supposed to deliver the metalwork last Saturday) and finding that most of screws holding the wooden box within which the metalwork was delivered having their heads stripped I have FINALLY managed to get my acrylic baffles with the Supravox 215 Signature Bicone playing.....

The design and build is about as straightforward as it gets, speaker cables plug directly into the Driver, one acrylic baffle (appx 2' X 3'6"), one metal L-Piece, 4 Brass screws and nuts - Voila, a most excellent speaker....

Sayonara
Attached Images
File Type: jpg transparence.jpg (78.9 KB, 9658 views)
Old 13th September 2003, 11:50 AM   #34

Okay, so we have a speaker playing. What's it sound like?

Excellent. The sound is coherent, open, well balanced and these speakers are clearly full range enough to not need either subwoofer or supertweeter. And that is with drivers having minimal play time (no spare Amp's to break them in with pink noise).

In terms of sensitivity I feel they clock in slightly louder than the Bastanis Baffles AND my Tannoy Monitor Red's and NOTABLY louder than the Beauhorn B2.2 Revelation package.

Adding the Bastins based Sub set to 40Hz X-Over, 6db boost @ 30Hz and at rather low levels adds a massive visceral impact, without slowing down the system. Brilliant. You should see my grin....

Again, the system runs without EQ, non needed. Dipoles work well enough in even difficult rooms that room modes do not become a major problem.

So, Supravox Signature Bicone Open Baffle - go for it, it's great stuff.

Just make sure to NOT use any British Companies in the manufacture of the Baffles, otherwise you will be effectively delayed several weeks and under NO conditions allow British Freight carriers to get involved.... If you do the hassle will take years of your life...

Sayonara
Attached Images
File Type: jpg right.jpg (83.9 KB, 8285 views)
Old 13th September 2003, 11:57 AM   #35

So, what's next? Well, I should have very soon a ribbon Supertweeter and there is that big bottle of 20 Centigrade C37 lacquer around here.... Let's see....

And finally another picture of the Speakers as they appear in the room.

Sayonara
Attached Images
File Type: jpg left.jpg (70.6 KB, 7716 views)
Old 13th September 2003, 11:59 AM   #36
Sjef is offline Sjef  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Can you tell me something more aboute the measurements of the baffle and the measurements of the speaker placement. I'm still experimenting with the same sort of baffel at the moment with a Phy-HP 21 cm driver. They are still made out of wood and the driver is placed a bit higher than I see in your picture. Have you experimented with the driver placemant ??
Old 13th September 2003, 12:10 PM   #37

Konnichiwa,

Quote:
Originally posted by Sjef
Can you tell me something more aboute the measurements of the baffle and the measurements of the speaker placement.
No, as these are prototypes for a commercial design I am not at liberty to disclose the CRITICAL items.

Quote:
Have you experimented with the driver placemant ??
Yes. I might add as possible hint, that having a great deal of knowlegde of and exposure to occult things helps getting the numbers right....

Sayonara
Old 13th September 2003, 01:08 PM   #38
Sjef is offline Sjef  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

But isn't this a rip off af another commercial design called the "LuiLui"
Old 13th September 2003, 02:55 PM   #39

Konnichiwa,

Quote:
But isn't this a rip off af another commercial design called the "LuiLui"
Try buying LuiLui outside swizerland.... (I know people who tried).

The specific design of the LuiLui does not seem to travel well. This one does. More to the point, there are differences (material ones) especially in the choice of Driver and it's placement. There will also be a larger difference in optics in the finished version.

But yes, LuiLui is the original source, but it is not a simple copy. So what?

Sayonara
Old 13th September 2003, 02:59 PM   #40
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Quote:
Originally posted by Kuei Yang Wang

But yes, LuiLui is the original source, but it is not a simple copy. So what?
Try to explain it on AA when the products hits the market

Did you find that acrylic brings a trace of any specific sonic signature?
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC

Hide this!Advertise here!