Are you (open) baffled yet?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
215 driver

Thorsten,

Wouldn't be better to use 215 Signature instead of 215 Signature Bicone adding some horn tweeter above 10K avoiding some of the mechanical whizzer/main cone cross-over problems?
Just as an option to use of supertweeter.
As you said some supertweeter is needed.
Also ,how do they compare sonicly to Tannoy's?
Bartek

Re: 215 driver

Konnichiwa,

Peter Daniel said:

Try to explain it on AA when the products hits the market;)

I wont even bother. I leave them over at the Audioasalem to burn their witches and warlocks as they please...

Peter Daniel said:

Did you find that acrylic brings a trace of any specific sonic signature?

Yes, compared to plywood test baffles the Acrylic is somewhat more "literal", dryer than Plywood. The "ear to panel" test shows only fairly low frequencies being notable....

zygibajt said:
Wouldn't be better to use 215 Signature instead of 215 Signature Bicone adding some horn tweeter above 10K avoiding some of the mechanical whizzer/main cone cross-over problems?

Sure. It is as always a question of what you want to achieve with a given design. As "upgrade" there will be likely a version with ribbon tweeter and the Fieldcoil Supravox.

zygibajt said:
As you said some supertweeter is needed.

Not with the bicone. You don't "need" a supertweeter any more than for example with Tannoy.

zygibajt said:
Also ,how do they compare sonicly to Tannoy's?

Usual thing. More directness and immediacy with slightly better transparence, but Tannoy plays louder without strain (and it's not the Amp's that start straining) and goes much lower in the LF (can be fixed with subwoofer of course....

Sayonara

The speaker looks stunning indeed. I wouldnt mind doing some copying myself. Hope theres a reasonable price on acryllic here in Sweden :) Think my mangers would do pretty well in such application.

Just make sure to NOT use any British Companies in the manufacture of the Baffles, otherwise you will be effectively delayed several weeks and under NO conditions allow British Freight carriers to get involved.... If you do the hassle will take years of your life...

A wise man once said ( dunno who ) that if all guns and such things needed for war where send via the postalservice, no wars will ever occour since the packages would either arrive to late or everything in it would be broken...... He did have a point there ;)

Regards // Mattias

Konnichiwa,

MBK said:
KYW, just a thought regarding EQ and the lack thereof, you are not using the Ultracurve in this setup, are you? That would be cheating ;)

No, the UC is still in the rack but switched off. Neither of the Dipoles I have at hand in this thread made me feel the need for EQ!!!

Sayonara

Konnichiwa,

catapult said:
Got any measurement curves yet?

Nope, my measurement mike is loaned out. However, subjective LF extension (based on bass notes) is well into the 50Hz range and proportional. In general tonality is unoffensive and evenhanded with good detail too. All these bode well, extreme deviations are always easy to spot by ear.

Sayonara

Kuei Yang Wang: Found this on another board and it may ( or may not ) be of significance for you. Better to be safe than sorry =)

Nice work !!Keep them clear of windows or they will yellow .Any ultra voilet light will cause yellowing,You might be able to find a polish with UV protectant, probley for motorcycle windshields. Take care and happy listening.PS Worked with plastics for 10 years

Regards // Mattias - Sweden

Konnichiwa,

While I am showing projects off, here what I did with the Thomessen Module and the two 12" Woofers from the Bastanis "Prometheus" kit. The woofers appear based on the Eminence Delta 12LF but are customised. However, I suspect the Delta 12LF will work okay in a similar arrangement.

Rear view of Thomessen Module (probably one of the best and most flexible plate amps) attached....

Sayonara

Attachments

• subback.jpg
    subback.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 3,693
Konnichiwa,

This sub has the "speed" and SPL ability to belnd in with either my open baffle semi full range speakers and also integrates well with the Beauhorns. Not bad. Drivers are in the two opposing sides, keeping them from too direct view and canceling the forces. Material is 5/8" MDF. Left hand side of Sub attached.

Sayonara

Attachments

• subleft.jpg
    subleft.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 3,529
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.