HT Center Channel Build - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th October 2011, 02:51 PM   #1
Kahooli is offline Kahooli  Abu Dhabi
diyAudio Member

Default HT Center Channel Build

Well I've settled on which project I want to carry through the next few months as my primary concern - A new center channel.
I've never really been a home theatre guy, but the new girlfriend likes to watch movies so I figure I should make the move from stereo to modern day multichannel.
I decided a horizontal Wt/mW would work well in my room, and work as a furniture piece as well.
Trying not to break the bank (who knows how long girlfriends stick around ), my budget for drivers is set at $200. System impedance will be 4Ohms. It's my plan to have the midrange driver handle the entire 300-3000 decade. Why? Not sure. just an arbitrary goal. Some have said if you can avoid this region it will always sound better, more coherent.

I noticed the HiVi M8a is on sale at PE for $40, so I grabbed a pair. They're known to be solid to 40Hz in a big ported box.
They will be the foundation for fb-300Hz, wired in parallel for a 4Ohm load.
For a tweeter... I'll admit I just wanted to try one of these - Vifa XT25. It's 4 Ohms, and has good FR, off axis, and distortion figures (thankyou zaphaudio for all your great measurements) Planned crossover 3-3.5k,

So now I'm off to shoe horn a midrange in between these drivers. I've seen great things said about theZaph|Audio ZA14W08, but then again I've never heard one. And it's an 8 Ohm Driver...

And then there's the RS-100-4....

Any other driver suggestions? I'd prefer the mid a little more sensitive than either of those drivers; and low distortion and higher power handling will be a must for a home theater center.

I have $80 left in my budget for the mid, but I can swing for the perfect candidate
Old 17th October 2011, 03:31 PM   #2
Paul W is offline Paul W  United States
diyAudio Member

The ZA-14 is a nice piece...if you want higher sensitivity, consider the SS Discovery 15M/4624G-00.
Old 17th October 2011, 04:39 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul W View Post
The ZA-14 is a nice piece...if you want higher sensitivity, consider the SS Discovery 15M/4624G-00.
That looks like i may be the ticket! I'll have to see if anyone has already measured distortion figures.

Also - looks like the m8a is out of stock at PE, I hope my order for 2 this morning gets filled!
Old 18th October 2011, 05:50 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

.... my 2 HiVi were backordered.

That inhales vigorously. Looks like I get to start my design over again...
Old 19th October 2011, 07:52 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Score!
Guy I work with is also an audio nut, he had a pair of mint, only measured, peerless 831858 DVCs, it'll put my impedance profile a bit out of wack at 8 but the combination will still put me more efficient than the HiVi's.Plus they sound great (he demonstrated them in the box he intended to use them in but never finished) ....and they were cheap. $20/pair isn't bad at all!
Old 25th October 2011, 01:19 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Not much progress - the ScanSpeak didn't fit well. Evaluating a few other drivers, including a Seas mid from NHT, and an SBAcoustics on Madisound.
Old 26th October 2011, 05:43 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Seems Mark comes in with another find. He has a mint unused Morel EM1308 dome mid that he'll give me for $60. I'll haggle on that, but it's a good deal either way.
Gonna plug that in tonight to see if I can make it work.
I lose my original design goal of a ~300Hz crossover, pushing it toward 5-700Hz, so I need to do some careful measurement of the woofer's behaviour in that region. What I gain is a higher crossover point to the tweeter - quite desirable with the xt25s.

Off axis with the Morel should be superior to any cone mid I've evaluated so far. Predicted flat off axis till nearly 4.5kHz.
Though I am worried about distortion and power compression. I can't find any posted data on the driver.
Old 27th October 2011, 12:31 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

I use EM1308s in a three way 850hz/5khz 2nd order high pass/1st order low pass. It's a great sounding midrange but I wouldn't recommend using it any lower than 850.
Old 27th October 2011, 03:24 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the comments. As I said I still needed to do some modeling, and I knew if I wanted to run it that low I would need a steeper filter.
Old 1st November 2011, 02:00 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

A great thanks to the kx project for supplying a great driver and api for modelling filters in the emu-10kX audio DSP.
My audigy2 is useful again!
Made a test baffle and listened to them with digital filters -> multichannel amp -> speakers

Hide this!Advertise here!