Thinking about building some SR71s

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So I need some help with figuring out what to do about my audio system. One of my JBL LX500s died after fighting the good fight (foam surround disintegrated) for many years and now its time to rethink some things and make some upgrades. The system I have been using I built out from 1996-1998 and it has survived multiple moves and given me some good times. But I need to look at what I enjoy listening to (which has changed some) and think about the home theatre side too.

Present system
Carver C1
Hafler 9303 Transnova (150x2 @8ohm)
Technics SE-A5MK2 DC Power Amp (150x2 @8ohm)
Samsung BD-P1400
JBL LX500

And below is my room setup

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Drops for surround speakers were ran a couple of years ago but I just never bothered to implement them. I have always been a 2 channel guy. Basically I switch back and forth between the Hafler and the Technics depending on
the mood. When this stuff was new (to me) I was really only a hard rock guy, but times changed. Now I have a decent jazz collection, I enjoy country, and I listen to movies through this. There is one thing that hasn't changed - and
that is I like to listen at volume. Serious volume. Not always, but when I do I want it to sound good and I want to feel it.

I want to go with 5 speakers + a sub. Dropping the Carver is a certainty, I looked at several pre's including a Sunfire and yes... a used Krell pre. HDMI switching is not important to me, but crossover control is. I never really cared for subwoofers because to me they seem weird if they are not centered in the room. But I run 500+ watts in my truck and the sub is off centered there. My head unit allows pretty decent control between the sub and everything else andonce I understood how to adjust things it really, really worked well for my ears. The Hafler will stay, the Technics will get retired and I will probably look for a good 3 channel amp and run a powered sub.

The decision on the speakers is really what I am struggling with. I am not a DIY speaker guy, and I really don't plan on getting into it as a hobby, so these are like "build and use" for a long time. I have built tube amps for guitar so I could deal with building crossovers, but I am leaning towards one of the kits for a Zaph speaker, perhaps the SR71. I am just not certain it will get me the volume that I want. The other thing is I am seeing so many amazing cabinets being built with these incredible designs. It would be very satisfying to have something unusual in my room that really made your head turn even before you heard them. And I have the capability to build almost any type of cabinet design. -- But the room is not huge and I am limited by the traffic pattern so I cannot bring the back baffle out much farther than 18" with the LX's.

Perhaps 4 SR71s for the front and rear? Not sure if this is a good solution. There may be alternatives for the rears but I want to be certain of decent sound.

So any suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated. Its been a long time since I reworked things and I would like to really do something interesting.

I ordered a SZ71 kit from Madisound today; speakers only, will be using Zaph plans to build the cabinets. There are detailed fabrication plans if you follow the Zaph links.

If you need to buy an amp, go 5 channel, you’ll be glad you did!

4 or 5 speakers with 7” woofers in a Home Theater should be loud enough for anyone. I would move the subwoofer around, it may perform much better in the rear of the room (a lot of people use two subs).

I would use 3 matching speakers in the front.

Will start very soon on the Zaph project, I’ll keep you updated.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.