"Tired2way" speaker building.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yes it is a good suggestion, the bad thing is I can´t use headphones with my rig since I got no headphone amp. But I can use headphones with my computer, better than nothing but sound quality is not as good. Maybe sufficient to hear anyway, worth a try. I also should add that the speakers over all sound very good and it was easy to hear the good things the dac can do compared to my cd-player. But how much more is in it i wonder....

Last edited:
So the listening is done, and the result was a surprise. I asked my friend to bring his XLR interconnects which are the same model as mine but I have RCA. So we compared the sound and I concentrated mostly on the transients, and it was clearly better with XLR out from the dac with his cables. Voices, instruments and so on in mid or high range sounded better and more distict especially start up of transients. The speakers easliy proved that XLR is the way to go with this dac (and probably most gear). Good news I think, but I have to get another XLR interconnect, I will talk to my dealer and see if I can change the RCA for XLR.

Is your preamp true symmetric?

Looks like its not:

Does it convert balanced and unbalanced signals?
[SIZE=-1][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Yes, because our preamplifiers are transformer based they convert signals from unbalanced to balanced and visa versa. So, you can connect an unbalanced source and get a true transformer balanced signal from the XLR output of the preamplifier. Equally, any balanced sources connected to the preamplifier will be unbalanced at the RCA output. [/SIZE]

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Looks like its not:

Does it convert balanced and unbalanced signals?
[SIZE=-1][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Yes, because our preamplifiers are transformer based they convert signals from unbalanced to balanced and visa versa. So, you can connect an unbalanced source and get a true transformer balanced signal from the XLR output of the preamplifier. Equally, any balanced sources connected to the preamplifier will be unbalanced at the RCA output. [/SIZE]

They employ center tapped TVCs in that passive pre most probably so a balanced connection favors common mode rejection across the transmission. Since there is a lot of unshielded non-twisted wiring in there, it should be a plus to use it with XLR.

mf_mk2_inside.jpg

Thanks Salas! Yes that could explain the improvement I hear, I have one balanced cable between preamp and power, maybe that part is not so sensible. I could move that cable to the dac and use the RCA between pre and power instead, I can always compare. I also finally updated the software in the dac so now it can play 24bit/192kHz DSD files via USB, I will listen to some of that tonight. First impression was that it is better than "Cd-quality" WAV files :).

Dac in place.

A picture of the dac. What is different then? It sounds more complete from bottom to top, more details and live feeling. I get the feeling my amps and speakers are not showing all it can do, but it doesn´t matter since it is much better than with my old player :).

Attachments

• Min ma-1.jpg
    Min ma-1.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 211
Happy with my dac, I have tried a few different USB cables. It is not hard to hear what different USB cables do so I have to find one that works best in my system. Speakers have no problem showing what happens when you change something. I had some unevenness in the mid range on piano that I will investigate, I need to adjust the positioning of speakers a little to get it more even. As it is now I have mostly cared for bass performance trying to compensate for the room, but some attention is needed for mid range perfection. And I should get some curtains in my room but I always push that in front of me since it is boring.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.