"Tired2way" speaker building.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It looks like you have a standard swedish home, i suppose the rt60 is quite high?
You should turn your attention to the room or at least add foam absorbers between the speakers for the early reflection of the backwall? it should definetly give you more midrange clarity and less harsh sound as the volume goes up if you do. 7-10cm deep. ~1-2m high
or build a speaker with more radiating surface in the midrange and a waveguide to lower distortion and get a higher directivity, 2,5, d'appolito etc? if you want more clarity in midrange?
instead of buying a new cd-player or change a coil.?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Dissi, did you find time to produce the curves with the mic positioned as I mentioned for the simulator axis? Thanks.

P.S. How does it simulate cabinet diffraction and radiators angle responses just from IEC baffle published data? What mathematical technique? Like in SoundEasy?

Dissi, did you find time to produce the curves with the mic positioned as I mentioned for the simulator axis? Thanks.

P.S. How does it simulate cabinet diffraction and radiators angle responses just from IEC baffle published data? What mathematical technique? Like in SoundEasy?

Moving the mic 6 cm below the tweeter axis does not change very much, sorry Salas, it's just a simulation.

The spl is calculated by summing up several hundreds of small sound sources located on the diaphragm and along the baffle edges in a 3D coordinate system. Individual driver response is retrieved from manufacturer datasheets and other sources. Modeled driver response in a specific baffle is adjusted with a parametric equalizer to match the reference.

Attachments

• SimulationTired2wayOriginal2.jpg
    SimulationTired2wayOriginal2.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
That capacitor we put it because we felt the mids bit forward in the original voicing. It was without it for some little time. Still it was in another room, in another system, in a different materials cabinet, so you may judge for yourself further.

Yes it all depends, hard say how it would sound in my room. I will not do anything until I have tested a few things. Maybe someone knows how a little recessed 2-2.5kHz affect mid range clarity? I know that if you do not have those over tones at all of speach it is harder to detect what is beeing said, I did a test of that once many years ago. That is why telephones has a frequencey range up to about 3kHz.

Starre (Sebastion err Steffan) and Salas - just want to congratulate you guys on a great thread. Have read the whole thing twice - inspirational. Had me checking that I still did have that router in the basement not to mention a whack of left over black hole 5. Love the end quality, bang for the buck, sweat equity all the stuff that sings to me about diy. I think also your perseverance - how it is about overcoming little hurdles on the way to 1.5 years later a truly great end product that you are proud of and love to listen to. Looking forward to the next installment involving the borrowed cd player....

I am stuck 100 pages in on Jo Nesbo's 5th novel (have read first 4 and know he is from Norwegian vs Swedish) - your posts were much more interesting than my latest Harry Hole had me reading carefully til midnight last night.

inspired I am starting to dream about a new project....

Test done.

OK so I have tried the CD-player and it was quite interesting. First, the treble was clearly better with more air and extension and the fading out of sound from a cymbal and such much longer and not dying as quickly. Mid-range was clearer and more detailed, more focus on voices, a clear step up too. Bass was not so different, I have a little more output in the bass in my player but maybe slightly less detail or/and focus. But space was increased with bigger and more open sound stage and depth. So the good news is that the lack of clarity in mid-range seem to be the source itself that matters the most. Bad news is I am thinking of a new source....:(. I will not change anything with the speakers. My listening friend with the CD-player also said it sounded better now with the new positioning of the speakers. So over all it was a :) experience.

I have some from my youth but not that many. I have been considering a TT now and then but I only have a old Dual 505 with a Orthophone OM20 pick-up I haven´t used for something like 20 years. Need a MM amp too. Maybe time to get a streaming solution and rip my CDs. I have no idea what you need for that but I can find out, of course.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
You can upgrade digitally with small money for say an Odac using your computer to stream whatever via USB. Okay a Buffalo might be better but costs much more to put together. Check out the digital forum threads here. There must be a gazillion ways to rip your cds decently into the hard disk, the digital buffs here will surely tell you how's best if you will place a question.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.