"Tired2way" speaker building.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Me and a friend was listening this weekend and he said he missed some of the clarity from his speakers mid range. Is there a way to maximize mid range clarity, how much depends on the driver itself and the cross over and speaker box?

First thing you should do is to listen to the speakers in the same room.
How do you know his speaker/system is the better one?

price/performance of ca22rny and D2608 is exceptional!

Is there any measurments/simulations of the speaker?
on and off-axis?

Is there any measurments/simulations of the speaker?
on and off-axis?

Here is a simulation:

SimulationTired2wayOriginal.jpg

HorizontalSplTired2wayOriginal.jpg

CrossoverTired2wayOriginal.jpg

The simulation shows indeed a little dip in the crossover region. After removing the 2.2uF capacitor in the woofer section it looks better:

SimulationTired2wayModified.jpg

HorizontalSplTired2wayModified.jpg

CrossoverTired2wayModified.jpg

However this kind of fine tuning is beyond the accuracy of the simulation. But you could try it and find out, if this modification improves the midrange clarity...

Last edited:
Audio Aero Capitole MKII. It is getting a little old these days but is still a vg cd-player. It is for sure better than my Naim CD5X.
I read a post on this forum that the coil used for the woofer in a 2-way can affect mid range clarity. I used this non-ferrite cored one: JANTZEN-2005 - Jantzen Wire non-ferrite cored coil 2,500mH 0,268Ohm 1,20mm - Europe Audio
Maybe a better coil increase clarity but I can not test this and they are expensive to buy.
I will report if a better cd-player makes a clear difference when I have tried it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.