"Tired2way" speaker building.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Thsi a measuring with 2 panels on the floor. It looks rather similar without panels but sounds better. I think I have found a way to improve this, posting more later tonight.

Its that bass mode if left prevailing over mids can come to sonic prominence is my only qualm about ironing mids out with more inductance for a more even room response. See a classic stand mount room averaged RTA from John Atkinson. Epos ES12. Which many listeners had found very articulate subjectively. Anyway, only some experiment will prove what is best in your particular surroundings. Such a graph you already got is commendably good for non averaged spot RTA in living room from a pair of speakers when comparing to most I have seen nonetheless.

497E12FIG7.jpg

Yes Salas. I have tried a lot of tricks here :D but no real progress so I will leave it and try to listen to get what I like best and not measure it. I noticed one thing though, if I use a lower level when measuring a little of that peaking area is reduced, and goes up a little when increasing volume, so some of it is probably reverb building up. I will put up some curtains soon, not to make a better sound but to make a better looking room :D.

The main thing seems to be that the Seas woofer is beaming starting at about 500Hz and even if you lower the output here a little if will still sound like beaming, and if you lower it further it will sound sunk in. I read somewhere a review with a speaker (Art loundspeakers) using a 10 inch Seas woofer from the same line that they heard some beeming so it might be those drivers and you have to live with it. No cross over can get rid of it without causing some other defect I guess. But over all it sounds good and on most recordings it is of no concern.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
As I wrote recently, with larger drivers used as mids and woofers simultaneously, we got to make some strategic compromise. If we really flatten them out on axis, then we will start feeling dead the power response. Because its DIY and because we can, there is test area for different systems and rooms/preferences with the optimum value if there are spare coils around. 2.5mH in this design is good, but if you will ever have a chunky 3-3.5mH pair and an LCR meter (an $30 1%+few counts UNI-T one is good enough) you may start listening and unwinding step by step to your own Nirvana. Some day. So to witness the effects and fine tune your own to your absolute liking.

I did one last(?) :D check, I put my listening chair in place and put back the front panels on the stands (I removed them some time ago since I thought the bass reflex tube output was a little too much with them in place). It sounds a little fuller in the bass and when measured it looks a little better than before. Bass a little more even and mid range slightly reduced (chair?). Listened and it sounds very good to me. I also put my damping panels in place inbetween speakers in the middle since it might dampen the room a little. Now I will let you rest Salas :p, happy hollidays.

Attachments

• sista.jpg
    sista.jpg
    226.4 KB · Views: 274
I have put the measuring equipment in the case and tried to forget it and just enjoy listening. If I just listen and do not reflect it sounds very good. I only have a sligth unbalance between bass and mids which I think will be reduced with some curtains in the room. My father listened the other day and he was impressed with the "clean sound" he heard. He is not very interested in hifi but I noticed he listened longer than he use to, a good sign to me :).

Case closed for now.

I used some blu-tack between speakers and stands and plastic lenses about 1 cm in diameter under stands on my wooden floor on concrete and it sits very stable and the sound is dynamic and detailed without harshness. If someone wants to copy it I am happy to help with questions.

Cut the panels to size and now it is all in place. Speakers are like I want them to be. I now can sit back an enjoy. The panels on the stands gives a llittle fuller bass which balance the mid range good. Posting pics of before and after shortening stands.

Attachments

• before.jpg
    before.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 287
  • after.jpg
    after.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 279
Interesting test.

I visited a friend and listened to some music I know and also measured his speakers. I noticed that the amount of bass I have is quite balanced and in line with his Oscar Heil Kithara speakers (they do dig deaper with more power, though). I also noticed from measuring them in his room it had a slight mid range "hill" not very different from my speakers (centered around 500Hz). I think it has to do with the room itself. He has a very good room though with almost no bass nodes (we measured this too and no problems was found, very rare indeed). I listened to that norah jones cd and he had the same forward voice problem I had, even more than in my case, I think.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.