"Tired2way" speaker building.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
It will put down the whole hump range but it will probably weaken the 2-3k area too. Better get 0.5mH so you can start heavy and if too much, unwind progressively. It will be a judicious point for your set up where you will feel balance is best for you.

Yes I agree. And it seem to me that extra bracing could not be the cause since it is over a rather wide range. And a smaller box volume that I might have compared with the original should not affect that high in frequency. Maybe try more stuffing but I suspect it would take a lot of it to get that level down?

I will take it slow beginning with more stuffing first. But I am concerned it will do a very small difference since I read online that the type I am using (polyester wool) is not very effective in the middle range. But trying it out will tell. I will post my results tonight. I am in no hurry so I can try everything else before I even consider adding that extra coil.

I doubled the amount of stuffing behind woofer and measured like before but I have the speakers a little less toe-in than I used to (since it almost looked the same in my post yesterday).
First pic is as mentioned above, second I opened the door to my sleeping room (watch the bass peak) and last a close measuring just between tweeter and woofer at 0.35m distance.

Attachments

• 0.7m.jpg
    0.7m.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 182
  • 0.7open.jpg
    0.7open.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 179
  • 0.35mnear.jpg
    0.35mnear.jpg
    283 KB · Views: 156
Well it sounds very similar in my ears but it is better when I open that door since that bass peak is less. Maybe maybe a little calmer in middle range but I am not sure. I will try one last thing: trying to dampen walls with all stuff I can get on the walls and measure again, brb.

Some good news: I listened to Norah Jones with headphones to compare with the speakers and I could actually hear some "shouting/hardness/forwardness" even with headphones in the same places as with the speakers. Last time I compared it was a big difference (old position of speakers in the other direction). My memory said it had none of that problem with headphones but it was actually there but since the difference was big I probably believed it had no "shouting" (wrong!) :).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.