"Tired2way" speaker building.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
After some testing I have found the best distance from back wall to front of speakers to be 0.65 m and distance from back wall to ear 0.7 m. This to get the bass peaks around 50-60 Hz as low as possible. I have learned the hard way that measuring below 200 Hz is very hard since the room affects it so much, you really do not know how the speaker itself measures here, so I focused just on the peak I have. Higher up from a few hundred to 2 kHz I have a little too much energy/level which I think could be solved with some acoustic dampening material. Maybe I will try that but it sounds ok as it is so it is not a big concern. I have a self made dampening panel in the basement I used in my old apartment and I will try it between speakers later on to see if it helps. I have also put a small book shelf behind listening position to make that wall less uniform, but I do not know how much it affects sound yet.

Last edited:
Yes, I want to try out how that space works and how to use it in a good way. Since nothing is perfect I hope to get rid of the biggest issues with some smart using of space and speakers. I found some acoustic dampening materials made for studio whch I am thinking of getting if the test with my home made one seems to be a step in the right direction. It is not very pretty so I am not sure if I can live with it on the wall :D.

Ouch :D:, not easy to implement then. I had a look at your posted measuring of the speakers and it also show that peak at 50-60 Hz. This should be a standing wave between floor and roof I think, since f = 343/2x2,5 gives f=68 Hz with a height of 2.5 m in room. To be correct the speaker would be directly at floor level, and with speakers it is never so in real life since it is away from the floor, maybe this is why the peak is a bit lower than 68Hz?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
That is why subs are on the floor where ever possible in gigs when point source satellites or line arrays hang like bananas. Also in column speakers that are 3 way, the bass units make half space to floor and mids cross away from their first reflection wavelength to lows as per Allison for those following.

Ok, It also came to mind that if you try different stands height it can lower a standing wave peak a little since its amplitude is at maximum in the middle between floor and ceiling (lowest mode), but if you put it as close as possible to the floor it gives other problems. Maybe a low speaker tilted upwards is good to get the woofer closer to floor level?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.