"Tired2way" speaker building.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am pondering using ceramic tiles with damping glue. But before that I must test with a bit of MDF if it can be a good choice. The tile is stiff and approx 6mm thick. Damping glue of approx 1mm. This way it is rather thin and does not alter the box dimensions very much. Also the surface does not need any work.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Making a super duper pair of cabs applying all you've learned and dream of just from scratch would be another upcoming winter pass-time idea though. Then you transplant the organs to the new body (very Frankenstein LOL) and you decide. If you had jumped category to the special cabs success stories club then you may buy more drivers and best crossover parts, duplicate, and sell the normal but reinforced and beautiful white cabs speakers to a very happy adopter who lacks the time and/or skill.

Decisions decisions....If I understand you Salas you think it would be best to make a new cabinet. But I do not like it remembering that router hard work getting it right lol. I rather try to improve what I got. Do you think it is useless and even destroying what I have you mean?

It might look weird :D, I was thinking something like this picture, just a free hand sketch. Side-back-side. White tile trying to match color, and I think it is possible to paint the tile if necessary.

Attachments

• sketch.png
    sketch.png
    11.9 KB · Views: 203
Try with wood on sides of the speaker. Something like Sonus Faber.

Stained wood with rounded edges would look nice and the cabinets would benefit from it. The only better thing than two materials glued together with their whole surface for speaker wall is sandwich box filled with sand.

concerti.jpg

Yes Salas, that is my plan. But after trying out the ceramic tiles (clay really) it is obvious it is not good enough. So now I will do it the Swedish way :D, go "all in" and go for Swedish granite. That is really heavy stuff! My plan is to get hold of floor tiles of granite and get it cut to fit. They can be found in 30x30cm so it needs some cutting. 2 of these at the back going from top down to terminals and then leave the little part below without stone to save some cost. What do you think of it, Salas?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.