"Tired2way" speaker building.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well Dufus, then it gets too high...with a lower stand it would work, better I do not know...
I am glad I kept that 2.5mH coil lol, bass is more prominent and it swings a lot more!
I think I have seen those Mission speakers, Salas, but it also reminds me of another newer design (the look of the stand) but I can´t remember the makers name.

Last edited:
Yes that is possible, the thought has crossed my mind, but I tried this panel before adding the weight and it had a very sligth effect. What is strange(?) is that the speaker seem more sensitive now, I had to lower the volume on my preamp a little not to play too loud. Less energy lost in the box, maybe?

Yes, I need to get used to the "new sound" and then maybe if needed a slight change. I have more respect for that woofer now, it is better playing bass than I thought possible :). Also the middle range is better and clearer. I remember earlier when I tried how much damping to use and I was not very good evaluating the sound. But some time ago I noticed that when watching movies listening to dialouge, it had a kind of ghost voice sound (a bit hollow or echo) and I thought it should be like that (that it was resolution/detail). But after adding some more damping and (bracing) it disappeared, and I hope it is correct. When listening to pure music it was harder to detect this, making me unsure if more damping was needed.

Hi Starre. It gets better every day huh ? :)

I have a question for you and Salas since both of you have listened to this speakers and experimented with inductivity on midbas :)

While evaluating what amount of inductivity would be the best for this midbas, did you get all smeared up mids after you excedentally put to much mH on it ?

I had problems with it in my two way. In the begining simulation was great but sound was very bad. When i put 1.5mH on my midbas (not this Seas but bigger midbas) mids were great but bass did not exist. I tried (in one iteration of xover) with 3mH and bass was great but the mids (piano actually) was awful. I measured and kept track of FR and reverse polarity all the way. I ended up with 1.9mH on midbas which was the best for it in that configuration. Enough bass with clean mids.

With piano it was most obvious because (piano being percussion instrument) have that slight ring that lasts a while when hammer strikes the string. When i put too much inductivity on it, the ring was gone.

Sorry if you consider this OT but i am very curious about your experience with it :)

I think Salas is the man to answer since I never change the value of that coil (2.5mH). Bass was too withdrawn first making me wonder, but it got better when the box was properly sealed, and now with very heavy stands bass is great! That ringing you experienced, I have a few notes of piano that excite the box a little, but if I damp the box a little more maybe it will disappear. And your problem maybe has nothing to do with the box itself?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi Starre. It gets better every day huh ? :)

I have a question for you and Salas since both of you have listened to this speakers and experimented with inductivity on midbas :)

While evaluating what amount of inductivity would be the best for this midbas, did you get all smeared up mids after you excedentally put to much mH on it ?

I had problems with it in my two way. In the begining simulation was great but sound was very bad. When i put 1.5mH on my midbas (not this Seas but bigger midbas) mids were great but bass did not exist. I tried (in one iteration of xover) with 3mH and bass was great but the mids (piano actually) was awful. I measured and kept track of FR and reverse polarity all the way. I ended up with 1.9mH on midbas which was the best for it in that configuration. Enough bass with clean mids.

With piano it was most obvious because (piano being percussion instrument) have that slight ring that lasts a while when hammer strikes the string. When i put too much inductivity on it, the ring was gone.

Sorry if you consider this OT but i am very curious about your experience with it :)

Its a critical component because it shapes the step response by counteracting the diffraction losses. Moreover its acting in the critical frequency region where the sense of musical power and reverberation are mainly perceived. After your initial crossover model with pseudo anechoic single speaker near takes and some initial auditions, continue in stereo with RTA at 3m away so to see the power that the room gathers and the balance between bass, upper bass, low mids. Usually 3dB step compensation is good because stereo couples high bass power to room all around and starts beaming soon in midbass. If you over compensate, it might sound fine in mono but leaden in stereo. There the plot curves can be indicative, but a multitap test coil or several from a coils box might prove great tools to tune the system to your room and liking in best fashion.

Me and a friend listened yesterday, we both agreed the speaker is better now with the mods. We also noticed that with the front panel on the stands bass is maybe a little more than neutral, more "pumping" bass that is quite nice on some material but on others draws attention to it making it annoying in the long run.
When watching movies it is nice, less listening to music. So I can easily adjust sound after taste, I like it :). I think that loose panel does not affect resonances in the box itself or otherwise, it is tightly squeezed in place. I know that some day I will probably try to get rid of that last resonance I can hear from the box but I have to be sure how to get rid of it first, no rush since it is a minor "problem". I think the little extra damping I use in the bottom opposite the woofer (about 5cm thickness) does not affect bass performance and gives mid range more clarity.
More damping helps getting rid of internal standing waves/back bounce but can hinder air flow making bass level go down, so it is as always a matter of balance.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.