"Tired2way" speaker building.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Starre,

Excellent work for a first build!! I have been looking for a good first build, and have recently finished a couple books, trying to educate myself about speaker building and design. Your documentation of this build has been excellent, and your exchanges with Salas very educational, I've read every post in this thread.

This Tired2Way looks like a good place to start for my first build too. I have been trying to source parts. I found the Seas CA22RNY, but the USA Distributor doesn't list it on their website. I am hopeful that I may be able to special order it.

I am writing to ask you and Salas about the tweeter used here. Peerless HDS seems rather vague, is there a more specific model number?

Thanks in advance if you can help. Wish me luck that I can find these parts available here, otherwise I'll have to go back to square one, with deciding what to build.

Again, congrats on your successful first build!

Regards,

Alex

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Here is my side panel to dampen/diffuse side reflex from glass window:
If you use the formula T= 1/f and then s = vT you can see what wave lenght different frequencies gives. The "bumps" on my panel are perhaps too small and uniform to be perfect but it makes a difference to the better when you listen.

Attachments

• panel.jpg
    panel.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 261
Last edited:
Dufus, over all I like them better. The Revel is a very good speaker but I think my build is a little more transparent, I prefer the tweeter beeing more refined, the woofer can move more air due to its size. The Revel are more picky on amplifier, it seems like they need a very powerful amp to control 100% or something, I have heard them with big Mark Levinsons and they worked better but who can buy such expensive amps? Tired2way is easier to handle. If I have something negative to say it would be that the lowest bass is a bit soft, I have heard speakers that are better in that respect, but it is no big concern to me. Over all a very detailed and nice sounding speaker. Maybe the Revel gives a bigger soundstage but I am not sure of that. I think you can say + and - all day but in the end it is what speakers you prefer as a whole that matters.

Last edited:
I'm going to build the Tired 2 Way as well.

I got wood, and will be begining my build soon. I can post pics here as I make progress. This is documented so well, hopefully I won't have too many questions, but I am hoping that you can advise me if I do end up with questions, since you have recently completed the same build.

I already have a question about the cross-over. Refer to C1 in below, is that supposed to say 4.7u ??

I have this information:

Woofer = SEAS CA22RNY
Tweeter = Peerless HDS
L1 = 2.5mH (2mm d. wire)
L2 = 0.25mH (1mm d. wire)
L3 = 1mH (1mm d. wire)
C1= 4u7//u68 PP high quality
C2 =10u//2u2 PP high quality
C3 =33u NP//0.22uF PP high quality
R1 = 3R9 10W Mills R3 = 15R 10W Cement
No polarity inversion nowhere. All inductors air core.

Thanks,

AlexQS

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    435.3 KB · Views: 251
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.